ATV Removal Question for you ATV Tire Folks
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree153Likes

Thread: ATV Removal Question for you ATV Tire Folks

ATV Removal Question for you ATV Tire Folks

Trying to put the Ceros on the TW rim and I'm pretty sure I pinched the intertube. One can tell there may be a leak as it sounds like a jet engine inside the tire! I have lots of cuss words to add at this point, some directed at me, some directed at the tire, and some directed towards the tube. I tried to be careful but must pinched it.

I'm trying to get one side of the tire back over the rim so I can change the tube. Once I get a section of the bead over the rim it's too tight and I can't get another tire spoon under the bead. Any ideas before I totally ruin a TW rear rim?

My son works at a tire shop and they won't touch do it and I'm not even asking them to air it up, just remove it.

I'm getting to know my shop chair pretty well as I sit in it all limp and stuff from the agony of defeat.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I am not looking forward to the day I have to remove the Duro.
    Do you have a pic of the problem?
    My brain keeps thinking push the opposite side you are trying to spoon off to the centre and once you have part of the tire off there should be some give, but I also think you will need to have the other side bead broken and in the centre.
    admiral, Fred, littletommy and 1 others like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Place 3 spoons under the bead at the same time, about 8" apart. When you pull the first spoon up the other two are already in place ready to go -- at least in theory they are.

It works for me on a stock tire.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ejfranz View Post
    I am not looking forward to the day I have to remove the Duro.
    Do you have a pic of the problem?
    My brain keeps thinking push the opposite side you are trying to spoon off to the centre and once you have part of the tire off there should be some give, but I also think you will need to have the other side bead broken and in the centre.

So far I can attest it would not be fun having to change a flat out in the sticks.

Both sides of the bead are broken, but the tire bead is so wide I can't get both in the middle, not at least with only 2 arms so far. I had seen video's to zip tie the tire together so it would rest in the center of the rim, but this tire is to big and tough for that.

Still working on it...when I'm not on the computer!
    ejfranz, littletommy and TWilight like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    Place 3 spoons under the bead at the same time, about 8" apart. When you pull the first spoon up the other two are already in place ready to go -- at least in theory they are.

I have tried this with 2 spoons at a time and got it over the rim similar to one spoon but that wasn't quite enough. I'll give 3 spoons a try, hadn't thought of that...which is why I humbled myself and came crawling to the forum for help.

The stock rear tire was very easy to remove (and put on) compared to the Ceros so far. I even struggled quite a bit just getting the tire onto the rim. Because of the inner tube problem I haven't even got to the bead popping on rodeo!

Thanks everyone for the input so far.

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post

If all I had to do was post the question on line and I could get the tire off, I would have done that 2 days ago.

Anyway, I got the bead over the rim so I can replace the innertube. The method I used I'll best describe as the "accidental elime 3 spoon method". I could not really get 3 spoons at the same time to work. I did get 2 spoons separated by 6-8 inches to work and get the bead started over the rim. Now what. There is no way and the bead was too tight to start a 3rd spoon from outside of the already started area...per se.

My dad is here and suggested I start immediately next to one of the 2 spoons (on the outside). When I slipped the 3rd spoon in the opening between the stationary spoon the bead, the bead started slipping up over the rim. We slowly worked our way around the rim and the tire kept slipping up over the rim very easily. It didn't any effort to do it this way, very easy.

Now I'll way for a new inner tube and then the bead seating rodeo can begin!
    grewen, elime, ejfranz and 3 others like this.

you're a better man than I, Admiral. I would have tossed the thing over the fence, out into the back 40
    ejfranz and littletommy like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

I would have taken problem to different tire shops until one was found willing to R&R ( remove and replace ) the tube. Of course here "policy" is for motorcycle service shops to replace rather than patch customer's tube so cost of tube plus labor would need to be considered.
    If my Duro ever get a flat I might have to just Sawsall through the spokes and send the hub for TW-Brian's trailer wheel conversion.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I feel your pain sort of! I tried replacing my old Bridgestone with a new one, same tire. After about an hour using all my too;s and knowledge I was unable to even break the bead to get the old tire off. I accepted defeat and drove the wheel and tire to the shop and paid the $25 to have them do it. They even had a hard time with their machine getting the old tire off. The guy said it was as if they glued that original tire on to the rim because it came off in chunks.

I do wonder if a wheel shop could make a special tubeless wheel for our TWs that would easily fit the Duro or Ceros tires and not have to deal with the spokes and tubes at all? Bet they could sell a bunch of them.

GaryL
    littletommy and admiral like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    I feel your pain sort of! I tried replacing my old Bridgestone with a new one, same tire. After about an hour using all my too;s and knowledge I was unable to even break the bead to get the old tire off. I accepted defeat and drove the wheel and tire to the shop and paid the $25 to have them do it. They even had a hard time with their machine getting the old tire off. The guy said it was as if they glued that original tire on to the rim because it came off in chunks.

I do wonder if a wheel shop could make a special tubeless wheel for our TWs that would easily fit the Duro or Ceros tires and not have to deal with the spokes and tubes at all? Bet they could sell a bunch of them.

GaryL

Jeeze just ust what I want to hear with a new tire on the way... Wait I'll use the backhoe lol, no... The loader blade

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links