Oil Drain Plug Stuck
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I went for the maintenance plan when I bought my 09 2.5 years ago, and I recently went to do my first oil change on this bike. The oil drain plug is completely seized up. I used a 19mm 6-point ratchet, as per the official "how to change your own oil" thread, and it just chewed the bolt up. I switched to vice grips--no dice. I realized, after putting a ridiculous amount of pressure on the thing, that I should ask which direction I should be turning it. You never know; sometimes the ol' lefty-lucy, righty-tighty saying is incorrect. I've pulling it counter-clockwise.

So, once I know which way to turn, I need to know how to handle a very stuck, very damaged bolt.

Any help?

Thanks in advance.

lefty-lucy
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

since the plug is allready ruined use a hammer and chisel to try and get it moving [counter clockwise].
    2006 tw 200 stock 950 kms

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I experienced a similar problem when changing the oil on my new (2010) TW. I suspect that the dealership mechanics over-tightened the plug. Still, nothing a bit of elbow-grease couldn't undo.

You should give a bolt-out a try. I know you can grab them at sears. It's just a socket that'll cut into the bolt head and grip really well. You'll probably want to heat the bolt, then hammer your bolt-out on there, and loosen with an impact wrench. They've worked well for me. Just don't go crazy hammering it on. Go up a size if it is incredibly tight, or you might crack your case.

Quote Originally Posted by assquatch20 View Post
    You should give a bolt-out a try. I know you can grab them at sears. It's just a socket that'll cut into the bolt head and grip really well. You'll probably want to heat the bolt, then hammer your bolt-out on there, and loosen with an impact wrench. They've worked well for me. Just don't go crazy hammering it on. Go up a size if it is incredibly tight, or you might crack your case.

Excellent. Thank you assquatch (lol), and others. Think I'll order my replacement plug right now.

Yeah, it's insanely tight.

Been here done this Ended up using the chisel and hammer method and ordered a new plug and a bunch of gaskets. I was amazed how stuck it was. Didn't cause any damage thankfully to the threads getting it out. I was fairly embarrassed, I have experienced stuck oil plugs in automobiles twice so I am not sure why I should be surprised it happened on a motorcycle,

Quote Originally Posted by DCTW View Post
    I experienced a similar problem when changing the oil on my new (2010) TW....

When I changed the oil on my 2010 TW at 250 mi I found the same thing. I could hardly remove the filter cover that the factory gorilla tightened. But, for me, no damage done.

John

I had the same thing happen to me, I was using a crescent wrench to try and crank her open but was just chewing up the plug (and a couple knuckles banging off of anything and everything). Best thing I found to use was the tool in your tool kit pouch that comes with the bike (now there's a crazy idea). It fits perfectly and no slipping and sliding off of the drain. good luck...

mine was COMPLETELY rounded off, i used a pipe wrench. like a doozy. new ones are lik 15 bucks i think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links