Changed Oil, noticed slight ping sound after?
Close

Hey Guys,

Little info. would be nice. Recently completed and oil change at 2k. After completion I made sure I loosened the bolt up top and oil was flowing out. But after riding I was noticing a slight ping type sound that is coming from the top of the engine. Could this be a valve out of adjustment? Everything indicates that the oil change was correct (correct amount of oil, good filter, oil coming out from top bolt). The only thing I changed was the oil type. Went from 20/50 to 10/40 (starting to cool off her in MT.)

It is by no means a knock. Just a light ping type sound. At first I thought my exhaust was loose but after letting it cool, all was tight. I have never checked the valve clearance ( I know they suggest it at 400mi but I just never got around to it).

anyways....am I just being a nervous nelly or should I break down and check them?

another note, there is no performance lost at all..power throughout rpm range and all gears.

also, not impressed with yamalube.

Did you replace the oil filter, and if so, did you make sure there are four holes drilled in the end with the larger rubber gasket? A lot of folks talk about that problem of people buying filters without the holes and seizing up their engines. I am so paranoid that I check the filter before I even pay for it.

Dan
    2009 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha Virago 1100

Quote Originally Posted by dhoenisch View Post
    Did you replace the oil filter, and if so, did you make sure there are four holes drilled in the end with the larger rubber gasket? A lot of folks talk about that problem of people buying filters without the holes and seizing up their engines. I am so paranoid that I check the filter before I even pay for it.

Dan

I am with ya, no its the right filter. This should be verified by the fact that oil is getting to the top of the engine (through the top bolt)!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Oh, sorry, I kind of missed that part. Don't you just hate it when work gets in the way of trying to help someone on a motorcycle forum

Anyhow, I don't really have any other ideas, being new to the TW200 and all.

Dam
    2009 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha Virago 1100

Hi, there.

I wonder that how many miles on your TW200 ??

Mine had similar sounds when I had changed oil for the break-in periods.

Currently, it went over 2000 miles ??, and the little "tick tick" sounds from engine head parts was almost (99%) gone.

I remember from other threads about this issue, and the sounds wasn't big problem .

It is from "Valve and/or Cam" break-in sounds >> which I read about from.

Not sure for your case, some other may help you about it !!!

What oil did you use?

I used Rotella once based on the advice of this board and there was a ticking / pinging after.

So I changed it again with Silkolene 20/50 that I had been using and it went away immediately.

-Larry
    2008 TW200 - Jimbo W/S, Rear Cycle Rack, Magnetic Drain Plug, Wally World Seat Cover, Custom JB Welded Seat Screws. (Desires - Kicker, Raised Handlebars, and Round Headlight)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    What oil did you use?

I used Rotella once based on the advice of this board and there was a ticking / pinging after.

So I changed it again with Silkolene 20/50 that I had been using and it went away immediately.

-Larry
    Honestly, I am leaning to doing the same thing going back to the Mobile 1 v-twin 20/50.

Just not that impressed with the yamalube 10 /40! Shifting and clutch feels a little more "stiff". As well as just more general noise!

Rotella is bad I only got thirty thousand miles from my 07' TW and had to do a top end overhaul. Bottom operates like new.

My TW engine has had Rotella in it since it was new. I run the hell out of that little bike but I do maintain it. That oil has done it's job. I run Rotella in my very expensive diesel engines. 10K, 20k and more $.

Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    Rotella is bad I only got thirty thousand miles from my 07' TW and had to do a top end overhaul. Bottom operates like new.

My TW engine has had Rotella in it since it was new. I run the hell out of that little bike but I do maintain it. That oil has done it's job. I run Rotella in my very expensive diesel engines. 10K, 20k and more $.

I don't get it, Rotella is bad, but all you use is Rotella and it's done it's job? Could you clarify that please?

I'm only asking because that's what I use in my other bike. I have not used it in the TW yet but would like to if it's okay for it. Supposedly, it's the best oil for older bikes but I haven't been told anything about it for newer bikes.

Dan
    2009 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha Virago 1100

[quote name='dhoenisch' date='13 August 2010 - 05:50 PM' timestamp='1281750642' post='1697']

I don't get it, Rotella is bad, but all you use is Rotella and it's done it's job? Could you clarify that please?

Sarcasm

I run it in everything I own. My last KLR650 was sold at 80,000 miles. I still see it around town occasionally. My current one just hit 40,000. It needed its first valve shim at 32,000.

Rotella sucks.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Sponosred Links