TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

1987 TW200 Ignition/Electrical Problem?

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  snowrider 
#1 ·
Hi, I am new to this forum and new to my 1987 Tw200. I bought the bike two weeks ago after it sat for approximately 4 years. Surprisingly it ran very well. The bike had no battery when i bought it, so i used a small charger to start it/run it for a few minutes, just so i knew everything worked good, and it did. I just put a brand new battery in it today, and it sat for about 30 minutes before i actually tried to start it. When i turned the key on..Nothing. No lights working, no spark to the plug, no starter power. I went to unhook the battery to check for a problem, and the small ignition type box right next to the battery (i think it may be the rectifier) was RED HOT. Did the new battery fry my rectifier? Any advide would be great. Thanks, Luke

#2 ·
Check the polarity on your new battery first.

#3 ·
Thanks for the help! You were exactly right, the battery was hooked up backwards. Sometimes the most simple details get overlooked. Anyway, she fired right up and runs excellent, especially after a valve adjustment and carb/ gas tank cleaning. Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.