New Kick Starter Added
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Howdy:

Finally got to adding a kick starter to my 04. I ordered all the parts separately and assembled it using instruction here in our forum. It was pretty straight forward,needed a bit of clarification on the positioning of the friction spring and the tabbed washer plate. This diagram is very useful:

Regards...Wes
    In the Stable: 73 Honda CT90,81 Honda CT110,81 Honda CT70,04 Yamaha TW200,07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

I have a question. The kicker bottoms out again the pegs. It starts great, but I'm wondering stock kickers hit the right footpeg on the bottom of the stroke? How about those of you who have added the kicker? I did not use the XT kit, I bought all the parts individually, including the "correct" kick arm.
    Regards...Wes
    In the Stable: 73 Honda CT90,81 Honda CT110,81 Honda CT70,04 Yamaha TW200,07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

Quote Originally Posted by vuldub View Post
    I have a question. The kicker bottoms out again the pegs. It starts great, but I'm wondering stock kickers hit the right footpeg on the bottom of the stroke? How about those of you who have added the kicker? I did not use the XT kit, I bought all the parts individually, including the "correct" kick arm.

I can't say mine's ever bottomed out. I didn't retrofit mine though, it came stock. I'm not sure if the TW kicker has a compression release, but you might've misaligned it or the starter gear when installing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by assquatch20 View Post
    I can't say mine's ever bottomed out. I didn't retrofit mine though, it came stock. I'm not sure if the TW kicker has a compression release, but you might've misaligned it or the starter gear when installing.

Glad to hear you got a kicker installed and you did not use the "K" word... .. As for your bottoming issue, a couple of possibilities; When you installed you kicker arm, since it fits onto a splined shaft, you may have positioned the arm too many splines counter clockwise before pushing onto the shaft. By doing this, once you place your foot on the kick lever and the internals are engauged the arm may already be pushed down to the 9:00 position. With your kicking stroke so short, it bottoms against the footpeg. Remove the arm and reposition it more clockwise on the shaft so it will engauge the internals closer to say, the 11:00 position. Good luck and have a NICE DAY.. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

Ya, I have played around with the spline alinement and in the best position the kicker still touches the peg at the bottom of the stroke. It does not impact the peg hard - it's also the bottom of the stroke. I think it's such a short stroke and I'm not used to it being so short and I'm used to jumping on a kicker full weight as hard as I can (that's what my CT hondas need). I will just need to be gentle.
    Regards...Wes

Quote Originally Posted by vuldub View Post
    Ya, I have played around with the spline alinement and in the best position the kicker still touches the peg at the bottom of the stroke. It does not impact the peg hard - it's also the bottom of the stroke. I think it's such a short stroke and I'm not used to it being so short and I'm used to jumping on a kicker full weight as hard as I can (that's what my CT hondas need). I will just need to be gentle.

With mine I don't even have to lift off the seat to kick it over. However I'd think you might be able to fix the issue still, just not sure how.

Ok, I have the kicker mounted as far clockwise as possible and it still hits the pegs:

Regards...Wes

The culprit may lie in your oversized footpegs. They are easily twice as wide as the stock pegs.
    Custom 1998 TW200 Build Thread Hidden Content | 2003 TW200 | 2009 KLX351

Wes, how far (clock face) does the lever move before 'all' the internals are locked in place and ready to move the piston? I recall having a situation when I gently placed the kicker arm on the shaft and 'tested' the engaugement before I put the case cover back on. Things did not feel right and I had to fiddle with my spring. Now you mentioned a spring issue as well so I am not sure we did the same thing. Hows your compression? Tomorrow morning I will double check what happens with my rig as I have wide pegs as well. Gerry

Well, first thing this morning, jammies and all, I went out and kicked over my bike. Indeed, I can kick down until contact with peg mount. Guess generally I don't generate that robust ah kick. Should contact with peg mount be routine, perhaps you can minimize the 'feel' by getting a very short section of heater hose and upon slitting, it will slip around the kicker arm and cushion any sharp contact.
    Take care my Friend.........

Quote Originally Posted by sorethumb View Post
    The culprit may lie in your oversized footpegs. They are easily twice as wide as the stock pegs.
    The contact point is not against the peg, its against the peg mount. The peg is completely cleared, so it would also do this with the stock pegs.
    Regards...Wes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links