pool of gas
Close

Thread: pool of gas

Hey guys. Does everyone turn off their gas when they are not using bike. Last 2 times I ran out of gas, used reserve, filled up, and parked it I have come back to a small pool of gas below bike. After a ride it stops because I always forget to shut off. My other bikes have never done this. Is it cause by using reserve? Filling up all the way full? Or is there a leak possibly or something else wrong.

Thanks
    Just got TW200 4/2/11! First bike I have owned capable of hitting dirt/trails

97' TL1000s and 94' FZR 600

Quote Originally Posted by bbb View Post
    ...Does everyone turn off their gas when they are not using bike....
    It's a good idea.

...Or is there a leak possibly...

Does it look like this?

If it stops leaking soon after you fill up the tank, you may have just overfilled the tank.

Not a big problem.

After a ride it stops because I always forget to shut off.
    This is not very clear as to what you mean.

If it continues to leak after you have parked the bike, you have a carburetor leak.

If it's a large puddle (like a flood) of gas, it is likely the float valve stuck open.

If it's a smaller leak, as in the photo, it's the o-ring on the float valve seat that needs to be replaced.

Either one involves taking the carb apart.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

It is very very small puddle like the picture. I tested it and if I shut the gas off it doesn't happen And if I leave the gas open it makes that's very very small puddle.

GuessI need to out where carb is and that o ring thingy.

Lots of useful info here and I think somewhere I saw a full manual download. This site rocks.

Your help and comments JB were very helpful. Thanks for taking the time.

Maybe if I just keep shutting gas off I can do this fix in the fall. I'm afraid if I tear anything apart I may be down and out for a few weeks.
    Just got TW200 4/2/11! First bike I have owned capable of hitting dirt/trails

97' TL1000s and 94' FZR 600

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

jim
    I never turn my gas off, it does not leak and starts right up when I am ready to go, I guess if I was going to store it for awhile it would be a good idea to turn it off
    Join Oathkeepes.org

Because Home Land Security Begins @ Home: BPAUX.org

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and liberals

If it's a small puddle (as in the picture above) and if the gas is coming from the hose at the bottom of the carb bowl, then the most likely cause is the o-ring on the carb float valve seat:

Replacing the o-ring is not difficult, but does take patience and care to do it without causing damage.

I do not wish to encourage you to do the job if you feel uncomfortable doing it.

There is the potential for breaking or losing parts during the process.

On the other hand, a dealer will charge a lot of $$$ to replace a 25 cent o-ring.

Here's the link to the manual. I believe the carb removal for the TK carb is in the supplement.

Manuals

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...epair-manuals/

Here's what's involved:

Remove the carb from the bike.

Remove the bowl from the bottom of the carb.

Remove the float, and the valve seat.

Replace the o-ring.

Then reassemble.

Also Yamaha will not sell just the o-ring. You have to purchase the valve, valve seat, and o-ring as a set.

I don't remember if you posted what year your TW is. If it's a 2001 or newer, I have extra o-rings. I don't know if they will fit the TW's before 2001.

If all this scares you, you can ride your TW the way it is, remembering to turn off the petcock every time your park.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Quote Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
    If it's a small puddle (as in the picture above) and if the gas is coming from the hose at the bottom of the carb bowl, then the most likely cause is the o-ring on the carb float valve seat:

Replacing the o-ring is not difficult, but does take patience and care to do it without causing damage.

I do not wish to encourage you to do the job if you feel uncomfortable doing it.

There is the potential for breaking or losing parts during the process.

On the other hand, a dealer will charge a lot of $$$ to replace a 25 cent o-ring.

Here's the link to the manual. I believe the carb removal for the TK carb is in the supplement.

Manuals

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...epair-manuals/

Here's what's involved:

Remove the carb from the bike.

Remove the bowl from the bottom of the carb.

Remove the float, and the valve seat.

Replace the o-ring.

Then reassemble.

Also Yamaha will not sell just the o-ring. You have to purchase the valve, valve seat, and o-ring as a set.

I don't remember if you posted what year your TW is. If it's a 2001 or newer, I have extra o-rings. I don't know if they will fit the TW's before 2001.

If all this scares you, you can ride your TW the way it is, remembering to turn off the petcock every time your park.

jb
    I'm glad we have this TW 200 Forum. I just picked up a 2003 with low mileage and have cleaned the carb and adj the float setting with no luck. It seems I also need to order valve seat set. I also had fuel in the oil. I have changed the oil and will again after I run it a few miles.

Sponosred Links