Fuel petcock question
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    So I'm pretty new to owning and maintaining motorcycles. I've done all my own automotive maintenance so I know my way around a shop. But needless to say I feel like an idiot with this question. On the fuel petcock (which I am completely ignorant of it's operation and purpose), how do you know which direction is on? Yesterday I had the longer piece of the switch towards the "on". After riding about 2 miles the bike stalled out. So i switched to the other side "res". It ran to the gas station and I only put 1.2 gallons in. I left it towards the "res" the rest of yhe way home and it was just fine. So I wasn't out of gas. I guess my question is what is the difference (if any) between the res and on? Is it detrimental to leave it on "res" instead of "on"? Thanks guys. On a side note, I freakin love this bike. My mountain bike hasn't seen the light of day for the past three weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by Boarder255 View Post
    So I'm pretty new to owning and maintaining motorcycles. I've done all my own automotive maintenance so I know my way around a shop. But needless to say I feel like an idiot with this question. On the fuel petcock (which I am completely ignorant of it's operation and purpose), how do you know which direction is on? Yesterday I had the longer piece of the switch towards the "on". After riding about 2 miles the bike stalled out. So i switched to the other side "res". It ran to the gas station and I only put 1.2 gallons in. I left it towards the "res" the rest of yhe way home and it was just fine. So I wasn't out of gas. I guess my question is what is the difference (if any) between the res and on? Is it detrimental to leave it on "res" instead of "on"? Thanks guys. On a side note, I freakin love this bike. My mountain bike hasn't seen the light of day for the past three weeks!

Your petcock picks up fuel from one of two points, one higher than the other inside the tank. In the "ON" position it picks up fuel from the higher point until that fuel is exausted, then in the "reserve" it picks up fuel from the lower portion until the tank is empty.

If you leave it in the "reserve" position you'll have no advance warning that you're running short on fuel because the tank will run til it's fully empty.

Your tank only holds 1.8 gallons, so you were well into reserve territory when you left, so probably there is nothing wrong with the petcock.

If with a full tank it still won't feed fuel in the "on" position there are two possibilties with your bike: One is that the petcock is clogged on the "on" side orifice inside the petcock. The other is that the standoff tube filter inside the tank is varnished and/or clogged.

There is also a third (remote) possibility that some prior owner put a petcock from another model Yamaha on there. Almost all of them are identical except for the length of the standoff tube for the "on" position, and if they chose one that was too long it would hit reserve prematurely.

The other function of the petcock is the "off" position. Since our bikes are a "gravity feed" arrangement in the event of a worn float seat or if the float gets knocked out adjustment it will flood the carb, then the airbox and eventually fill the crankcase with gas. Any time you park the bike overnight or for any extended period you should turn the petcock "off".

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I can't remember where the on and off labels are off hand, but I know that the long part of the switch pointed down is "On". The long part of the switch pointed up is "Reserve".

If you leave it in the "On" position, and then you run out of gas, you switch it to "Reserve" and ride it to the gas station. If you leave it in the "Reserve" position, and then you run out of gas, you push it to the gas station.

The tank only holds 1.8 gallons, so believe it or not, 1.2 is just about right for a refill right after switching to reserve.

Edit: I didn't realize lizrdbrth had already responded.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. Makes a lot of sense.

Not a trick, but something I did for quick reference on the petcock. I painted the tip of the lever White. I put a Green dot of paint in the "on position", Yellow dot for "reserve", and Red dot for "off". Easy to see at a quick glance.

Now if your color blind ???

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post

Now if your color blind ???

That wouldn't work for me! On (green) and off (red) would look the same to me!
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

6 o'clock position is on......9 o'clock is off and 1200 o'clock is reserve(this is in reference to an analog clock...some folks have never used or seen an analog clock...digital folks..eeekkkk!).

The petcock on my 2009 has a small arrow on the edge facing out. It's small but is raised so if you get down close and look at it yours might have one too. Unless, as lizrdbrth mentioned, it could be a petcock from another model/year bike.

Byte

Have you tried reading the instructions?

http://www.mediafire.com/?8zubjzjyioj

Not to Highjack Boarder255's Original Question......But on the PetCock Subject: has there ever been a way to increase the size of the "reserve" tube? I wondered this as I installed my stock unit into a new Clarke Tank.

Bigger Tube=More Reserve??

Thanks.
    Randy Myers

Suzuki RL250 Trials-Sold-Miss this one....

'07 TW200-Sold

'02 BMW R1150R-sold

'00 KLR 650-sold

'06 Honda Big Ruckus-Sold

"08 Honda Ruckus

"13 CRF250L

Shawnee,OK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links