Changing cam and valve springs
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Alright, so I've got the head off as I am upgrading the springs as well as the camshaft. As I don't have a slide hammer, I can see I need to buy a long M6 X 1.00 bolt in the morning and sort out something to brace it against so I can pull out the rocker shafts.

Question is, shouldn't the camshaft just fall out now?

I've removed the two bolts and the bracket in the photo, is anything else holding the cam bearing (and therefore the cam) in the head?

The cam bearing is quite a tight fit in the head, thats why I have recommended using a slide hammer in the past. It is possible to get it out without one but it's tricky getting a good grip.

I never pulled the rocker shafts when I did my cam upgrade...even though the manual tells you to. Cam should fall out after a little muscle.
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Pgilles is correct about leaving the the rocker arms in place. If you don't need to take them out for any other work just slacken the valve adjusters right off and the cam will come no problem.

Hello,

For camshaft M10

For rocker shafts. M6

My Tool

Thanks, I have to change the valve springs so the rocker shafts had to come out. The exhaust one had to be tapped in a bit initially, as it was stopping one head bolt. You can see it starting to strip it here before I figured out what was going on:

Then the intake shaft was not good, so had to use a thread chaser to clean up the threads so a bolt would bite. Had no slide hammer here (have a nice one up north) but TeeWee's pictures gave me an idea so went to the bolt supply store for a length of M6 X 1.0 allthread, combined with part of a puller the shafts came out.

The rocker arms then were loose, but no way would they come out because of their offset, so I pushed them up and out of the way and pulled the camshaft out with the aid of a M10 X 1.25 bolt and an old pair of pliers for a bridge:

Once the cam was out the rocker arms fell out easily. The empty head:

However that wasn't all. What Yamaha calls the 'collar' was stuck on the end of the camshaft. Pulled that off with a two arm puller, a bit apprehensively because I thought it was a bearing.

Turns out it's just an aluminum bushing. A bit ugly looking where the camshaft turns on it, as was the camshaft bearing surface.

Didn't seem like a good idea putting the nice new camshaft in a munched up bushing.

So ordered a new one, forty-some bucks. As that is going to take a week to get here I dropped off the head at the Yamaha dealer and I'll let him change the valve springs and check the valve seating.

Pjungnitsch, that camshaft collar can be replaced with a ball bearing race for a lot less money and a better bearing.

I think Chrisddel has done it and another member whose name I forget.

you could take the collar and camshaft to a bearing stockist and they will match it for size if you don't have an accurate means to measure it.

Is it to late to cancel your order for the collar.

EDIT: I found the post > https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...h__1#entry8823

Boy, the idea of using the channel lock in that way is very, very clever. We now have some super threads on installing/upgrading the TW cam. If any one is interested, it would be nice to pull from all the great posts and see if we can put together a sticky. If knowone has any plans, I will be glad to give it a go as the dirt around here still has not dried out. Gerry

Take care my Friend.........

That bearing for bushing idea is interesting, I'll have to look into that. I know Harley went from ball to roller and back to bushing but that's a lot bigger engine so maybe it's a question of load.

Mrgizmow, I think putting the various cam info into a sticky is a great idea (especially if these cams perform as good as everyone says), if you have the time and interest I'd say go ahead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links