1982 XT200 Has Same Engine as TW200
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I recently got a 1982 XT200 with about 4000 miles on it. It has the same engine as the TW200. I am wondering if the early TW200s used the same Teikei carburetors as the XT200. The last two times I started my XT200 it ran a bit rough, coughed a bit like a mild backfire before it warmed up. I think that means the mixture is lean. I think you have to take the float bowl off to adjust the mixture. Are there any pictures of the early Teikei carburetors showing what screws you need to adjust to make the mixture richer?

I wonder if the transmission is the same on the XT200 as on the TW200? It has a 5 speed transmission.

Lance

The XT200 engine is basically the same except the gearbox output shaft is longer on the TW to clear the fat tyre and the corresponding side cover has a bearing in it to support the end of the longer shaft.

I don't know about the carb but I doubt you have to remove the float bowl to adjust the idle mixture.

Quote Originally Posted by uktw125 View Post
    The XT200 engine is basically the same except the gearbox output shaft is longer on the TW to clear the fat tyre and the corresponding side cover has a bearing in it to support the end of the longer shaft.

I don't know about the carb but I doubt you have to remove the float bowl to adjust the idle mixture.

I looked at some diagrams to see where the fuel mixture screw is generally located. My carb does not have any screws I can access at the bottom of the carb. There is a side screw, but I think it probably adjusts idle only. From what I've seen the fuel mixture screw should be more between the main area of the carb and the cylinder. I pulled the spark plug this morning and it does have a whitish look to it. So it looks like it is running lean.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Usually the pilot screws are under a cap pressed in to keep you from messing with the proper setting for emissions compliance. The cap is usually just to the cylinder side of the carb of the float bowl. Look for about a 6mm round, shiny silver or brass flat spot. that is the cap. Drill a hole in the cap, thread in a screw, and pull it out with pliars.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Usually the pilot screws are under a cap pressed in to keep you from messing with the proper setting for emissions compliance. The cap is usually just to the cylinder side of the carb of the float bowl. Look for about a 6mm round, shiny silver or brass flat spot. that is the cap. Drill a hole in the cap, thread in a screw, and pull it out with pliars.
    So is that part of the float bowl? When looking at the carb from below, there is a projection sticking straight down that looks like you should be able to stick a small screw driver up. But there is no screw to adjust, just solid metal. So you are saying to drill that out. I'm not sure you want me to thread in a screw and then pull the screw out with pliers. Sounds like that would strip the threads that you just made.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post

Ok, I think I understand what you are saying now. You are saying to drill a hole in the pressed in cap. To pull the cap off you thread in a screw and pull the cap out that way. When I was looking at what I think must be hiding the pilot screw, it does not look like there is a pressed in cap. If it is, then it is not brass, but the same color as the rest of the metal in the carb. So when you remove this cap, there is no leakage from carb? The pilot screw must be sealed.

This is what the bottom of my '96 carb looks like with the float bowl off and the carb twisted 90 degrees. The idle mixture screw is the flat headed one on the right, and is accessible with the float bowl on. Often a plug is tapped into that hole the screw is sitting in. Pilot screw is sealed, yes, the plugs are just anti-tamper devices.

Quote Originally Posted by PJungnitsch View Post
    This is what the bottom of my '96 carb looks like with the float bowl off and the carb twisted 90 degrees. The idle mixture screw is the flat headed one on the right, and is accessible with the float bowl on. Often a plug is tapped into that hole the screw is sitting in. Pilot screw is sealed, yes, the plugs are just anti-tamper devices.

I did drill a small hole in the plug and got it removed. I gently screwed the pilot screw all the way in (only 1 3/4 turns). Then I turned it out 2 1/2 turns. The difference is amazing. The bike starts now with one kick. Seems like I hardly need the choke now. I'll see what it is like on a cool morning. No more popping noises when I back off the throttle. I'll check the spark plug after a while to see if the nice tan color is there. Thanks so much for the nice illustration.

Is there one cable, or two coming out of your throttle tube?

I'm thinkin' that back then Yamaha still used direct-pull, single-cable roundslides.

If your carb has one cable that disappears into what looks like a threaded screw cap under where the cable enters the carb it's the old type Mikuni or Keihin.

Totally different critter from any TW carb. Easy to work on, but I dunno about getting parts.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Is there one cable, or two coming out of your throttle tube?

I'm thinkin' that back then Yamaha still used direct-pull, single-cable roundslides.

If your carb has one cable that disappears into what looks like a threaded screw cap under where the cable enters the carb it's the old type Mikuni or Keihin.

Totally different critter from any TW carb. Easy to work on, but I dunno about getting parts.
    This is a Teikei carb with a single cable entering the top of the threaded screw cap. I wonder if a TW carb could be mounted on my engine. Anyway I got the plug over the pilot screw removed. Plug came out nicely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links