Quiet Please !
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quiet Please !

Hi.

I bought a 1998 TW 200 last year. Love the bike, but dang the sucker is loud - sounds like a damn Harley !

Seems out of character for such a small bike.

I'm sure it's the stock muffler & I've gone down & scoped it out several times & find no holes or cracks. The thing is, I saw a later model t-dub go by the other day & it sounded more, well, muffled.

So, are the later models using a quieter silencer & if so, would it fit on my 1998? Is this a job for a dealer or can anyone suggest a quieter muffler?

Thanks !

Weird, maybe the previous owner hollowed out the muffler? My 1990 isn't loud at all and it has the stock muffler.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. I think I'll drop by a dealer - see if I can compare it to a new bike & see what the service guy says.

Thanks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

My 96 is pretty quiet as well. I've never had the muffler apart but it seems pretty simple from this diagram, nothing to wear out or need repacking:

A loud stock muffler has an issue somewhere.

The stock mufflers are all identical internally, regardless of year model. They're pretty darned quiet, simple as a brick and flow more than sufficiently for anything short of a full-race (yeah, right) Tw. Nonetheless that doesn't prevent folks unclear on the concept from modifying them. Or yours may have rotted out or even BURNED out prematurely from being run too lean at some point.

The first thing I'd do is fish around the inside of the end cap with a stiff wire. It should come to full stop around 6" into the muffler.

To check beyond that you'll need to remove your end cap, which can be a real pain.

Your end cap should look like the one in the parts breakdown on the inside. If it doesn't or if some dink P.O. drilled it out, cut it off, or if it simply rotted out or fell apart, there's your noise.

If not, get a light and look inside. Looking from the rear forward you should see a solid nosecone, and there should be two small openings in the sidewall of the inner tube, way in the back.

Again, if you see daylight back there in the nosecone, if someone has`drilled it out or it has simply rotted through, there's your noise.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    A loud stock muffler has an issue somewhere.

The stock mufflers are all identical internally, regardless of year model. They're pretty darned quiet, simple as a brick and flow more than sufficiently for anything short of a full-race (yeah, right) Tw. Nonetheless that doesn't prevent folks unclear on the concept from modifying them. Or yours may have rotted out or even BURNED out prematurely from being run too lean at some point.

The first thing I'd do is fish around the inside of the end cap with a stiff wire. It should come to full stop around 6" into the muffler.

To check beyond that you'll need to remove your end cap, which can be a real pain.

Your end cap should look like the one in the parts breakdown on the inside. If it doesn't or if some dink P.O. drilled it out, cut it off, or if it simply rotted out or fell apart, there's your noise.

If not, get a light and look inside. Looking from the rear forward you should see a solid nosecone, and there should be two small openings in the sidewall of the inner tube, way in the back.

Again, if you see daylight back there in the nosecone, if someone has`drilled it out or it has simply rotted through, there's your noise.

Cool, thanks. Like I said, it looks fine from the outside, but I'm gonna poke around in there tomorrow, like you outlined.

Just curious, why is it a pain to remove the end cap? From the parts diagram it's attached to the muffler with 1 bolt, right?

Cheers !

Yeah. But that one dumb little bolt is usually siezed in the muffler. Maybe you'll get lucky with it. Sometimes it will snap before it loosens, and you'll need to get it out with a screw extractor.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

If you figure out you need a new exhaust, I've got a stock exhaust off my 98 I am looking to sell here.
    Custom 1998 TW200 Build Thread Hidden Content | 2003 TW200 | 2009 KLX351

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post

So, it didn't pass the stiff wire test. It goes a full 15" in before stopping, which is probably where the muffler bends. Also, where I'd expect a screw to hold the end cap on there's a hole. I can stick the wire through the hole right up to the top of the muffler ! Add to that, I think the end cap is welded on - a clean weld mind you, & the whole thing is painted black. So, it looks like I've been riding around with a tin can for a muffler !

So, thanks a lot for your enlightenment !

I have one as well for 150.00 plus shipping (includes a black OEM header with heat shieid installed). Both have 131 miles. No use on the ceramic coating. Does not include the muffler heat shield (the ceramic coated one).

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...aust-for-sale/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links