Got a free tdub!!!
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    So I got a free tdub that was in a front end crash. The forks and wheel will need to be replaced. Anyway it is a 89. My question is what needs to be changed to make it look like a newer one? What are the changes over the years? The only thing I know is they went from drum brakes to disk. But have no clue what year they did that. So what do I need to make it like a new one? Thanks and aloha from Hawaii!!!

The change to disc brakes was '01 I believe. Otherwise the kick start was also replaced in the mid 90's I think. You're better off keeping that. The brakes is really the only advantage that I can think of. You can at least get front disc brakes with a new front end, a rear drum will be pretty well okay I'd think.

You have the option of using different forks and wheel at this point. I think it's the xt225 that can be used. Not positive though.

Sweet thanks. I have been wanting one of these for a while. Super stoked for free. I all about the kick only. So I could put a 2010 tank on a 89?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Disk brakes, larger alternator, no kickstarter, CV carb and other minor stuff all happened in 2001. There was.a big change from 1987 to 1988 but they were more or less unchanged from 1988 to 2000. The first model year was 1987.
    If your only tool is a hammer

Everything looks like a nail

So I will need a front end off a 01-current to update to disk and fix my front end damage issue correct? So other than the few updates listed that happened in 01 the bikes are the same from 88-2010? I will post pics of the build. Any changes to the motor other than the stator in 01? It's crazy that no bodyeork updates happened in 22 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinittowinit View Post
    So I will need a front end off a 01-current to update to disk and fix my front end damage issue correct? So other than the few updates listed that happened in 01 the bikes are the same from 88-2010? I will post pics of the build. Any changes to the motor other than the stator in 01? It's crazy that no bodyeork updates happened in 22 years.
    Nothing crazy about it. Lots of bikes change hardly anything but the color over the years.

Chevy/GMC used the same body on their pick up from 1973 to 1987. They changed head lights and grills but that's about it as far as the body goes and the only thing mechanical I can thing of except for emission controls is throttle body fuel injection over the carb.

Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    Nothing crazy about it. Lots of bikes change hardly anything but the color over the years.

Chevy/GMC used the same body on their pick up from 1973 to 1987. They changed head lights and grills but that's about it as far as the body goes and the only thing mechanical I can thing of except for emission controls is throttle body fuel injection over the carb.

Ah yeah I've got an 87. First year with fuel injection. I believe 81 was the facelift. Great truck, but those first generation GM computers are lacking a bit.

Anyhow the tanks should be totally interchangeable but around 2001 the gas cap and mouth of the tank got smaller. If you've got the coin, you should go for one of the Clarke tanks that have just come around. The TW is unique in the sense that it's still being produced after all these years with such minor changes. It's like the shark of dual sports.

There was other changes like the timing chain tensioner, wiring harness, headlight was made brighter, and oh yeah, they built more fun into them! The best way to find the changes is to download the update manual for the 2001 and up. Other then the minor changes, they are all twins. Lots of mods on here will help make it your own. The front brake is a big one and if you find a TTR front end, even better (more shock travel). I have done a sprocket and chain upgrade and what a difference that makes. Just list the parts you need and guys here will be glad to help out. So good luck with your project and keep us posted on your progress.
    2009 TW200, Jimbo shield, 47&55T rear with DID chain, Maxxis Ceros Rear, Kendra 270 front, extended swing arm, 1"Risers, Rear rack, Raised front fender, XOG GPS.

Well as it turns out it's a 87. What are the changes from 87 up.

well here is is!!! first plans are to strip it down and powdercoat the frame white, swinger silver and glass bead blast the motor and leave it bare aluminium.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links