New grips?
Close

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Xracer
  • 1 Post By JohnJohn

Thread: New grips?

I can see that the grips on my '93 might be in need of replacement. Any ideas on good replacements? Also, do these just pull off (both the throttle side and the left side?) or is thesere something more complex involved?

pro-grips 714 are popular. the negative i found was the little holes hold water in them, so if you park in rain, they lead to wet hands when other grips would not. they are comfortable grips though.

My linkhttp://www.amazon.com/Pro-Grip-Dual-Sport-Grips/dp/B001RTCPEW

i use oury road grips. i always ride with a pair of gloves. i don't find them as comfortable as the pro-grips with bare hands, but with gloves, i love them.

http://www.amazon.com/OURY-GRIP-ROAD...1903296&sr=1-1

for removing the old grips, i just slice down the center with a razor blade and peel them off.

for putting on the new grips, i have tried many, many different methods. the very best thing i have found is golf grip tape.

http://www.amazon.com/Regripping-tap...1903432&sr=8-6

with the grip glues that are sold for motorcycles, they dry fast (too fast) and are a pain in the ass to use.

the golf grip tape is a double sided tape, you wrap the bar, put a solvent on the tape which makes the grip slide right over the tape, gives you plenty of time to position the grip where you want it, then it dries and the grip is locked in place.

a similar thing to use is friction tape that you can get for around a dollar at lowes/home depot (hockey stick tape). wrap the bar and put some rubbing alcohol on it, then slide the grip on. works better than glues, imo, but not as easy as the golf grip tape (but much cheaper).

If you want to save your old grips, just spray some WD-40 (using the straw) between your grip and your bar. Twist the grip a few times and it will slide right off. To get them on, I spray a little WD-40 onto my bar and the grips slide right on.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    If you want to save your old grips, just spray some WD-40 (using the straw) between your grip and your bar. Twist the grip a few times and it will slide right off. To get them on, I spray a little WD-40 onto my bar and the grips slide right on.
    If you have an air compressor you might want to try plugging the hole in one grip (if it has a hole)with your finger and charging the other hole with air. Works almost every time and usually saves the grip.
    1998 HD FLHTC

2004 TW200

2004 TW200

what exactly are the grip inside diameters? are they both the same? i just remember my other yamaha had different sizes ( was a 1985 yamaha maxim 700 )

Quote Originally Posted by sakogu View Post
    what exactly are the grip inside diameters? are they both the same? i just remember my other yamaha had different sizes ( was a 1985 yamaha maxim 700 )

Twist throttles require a bigger hole in the grip than the handlebar. ATVs with thumb throttles and bicycles have the same size grip on both sides. The 714 ProGrip is da bomb. A bit of hair spray inside the grip will provide plenty of lube to slide the grip on. When the spray evaporates the grip will be well stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Twist throttles require a bigger hole in the grip than the handlebar. ATVs with thumb throttles and bicycles have the same size grip on both sides. The 714 ProGrip is da bomb. A bit of hair spray inside the grip will provide plenty of lube to slide the grip on. When the spray evaporates the grip will be well stuck.

Just put some 714s on mine, yes, dey da bomb. I had cut the ends off the stockers for handguards so the air compressor trick wouldn't work, the stockers weren't glued on (pleasant surprise) but i cut them off anyway.

Borrowed some hairspray since the wife was gone, works great as grip glue.

Quote Originally Posted by gfl View Post
    Just put some 714s on mine, yes, dey da bomb. I had cut the ends off the stockers for handguards so the air compressor trick wouldn't work, the stockers weren't glued on (pleasant surprise) but i cut them off anyway.

Borrowed some hairspray since the wife was gone, works great as grip glue.
    Here's a trick for hand guards. Instead of cutting the ends off slide the grip over the left handlebar and strike the end of the grip with a rubber mallet. This will cut a nice neat hole. Do both and your good to go. Note I've done so many hand guards and bar weights that I took an old pair of bars and sharped the end. Makes a dandy hole puncher!
    JohnJohn, Darth and SEADUB200 like this.

Dandy idea, Xracer. I have a handlebar end welded to a plate steel base. Hairsparay dries slow enough it is easy to slip the grip on, pop it with a 2x4, and slip it right back off.

Quote Originally Posted by Xracer View Post
    Here's a trick for hand guards. Instead of cutting the ends off slide the grip over the left handlebar and strike the end of the grip with a rubber mallet. This will cut a nice neat hole. Do both and your good to go. Note I've done so many hand guards and bar weights that I took an old pair of bars and sharped the end. Makes a dandy hole puncher!
    worked like a charm!
    Darth likes this.
    *WARNING Newbie Post Above

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Sponosred Links