engine a little boggy
Close

ok, im a fairly new rider so it may be a rider error but...when shifting from 2nd gear up, it seems to be a bit jerky. is it possible to let out on the clutch to fast when shifting from 2nd gear up? also, my engine seems to be a little boggy(not too bad) when i give it more than about half throttle. could it be a fual/air ratio issue? possibly a venting problem? maybe adjust a screw somewhere? i cleaned the carb and it looks very good inside. i have no idea what could be causing that. sorry if this is redundant but i searched google with no luck. any insight would be extremely appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by dizzle2 View Post
    ok, im a fairly new rider so it may be a rider error but...when shifting from 2nd gear up, it seems to be a bit jerky. is it possible to let out on the clutch to fast when shifting from 2nd gear up? also, my engine seems to be a little boggy(not too bad) when i give it more than about half throttle. could it be a fual/air ratio issue? possibly a venting problem? maybe adjust a screw somewhere? i cleaned the carb and it looks very good inside. i have no idea what could be causing that. sorry if this is redundant but i searched google with no luck. any insight would be extremely appreciated!

The jerkiness of shifting may be caused by rider error, old oil, wrongly adjusted shift pawl, but usually its your chain. Make sure you chain is within adjustment and is lubed correctly.

The bogginess of your motor could be a million things. I'd check your air filter and even if it looks clean, clean it, and then you can further diagnose your problems. It could be bad gas, a clogged jet, a clogged vent, etc.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

i was thinking about removing my airbox but from what i understand, i would then need to replace jets and what not... also, does it sound like it could be that its not getting enough fuel quick enough when i give it more than half throttle. remember, this is the old style carb and not a cv, so it may reside in that itself....

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Tune and service the bike per the manual, then tune the carb properly. Factory tune on North American bikes appeases the EPA but causes a plethora of performance problems. That takes care of 99% of issues.

ok, i guess im gunna have to try that. i hoped that it wouldnt come to this.haha

Remove your air filter and go for a short spin on the bike. See if that changes things.

My '91 was giving me niggly little fits like yours, and I too went thru the carb. Things seemed a little better after a good carb clean and float adjustment, but still not right.

I then started the bike with the air cleaner removed and you could tell instantly it ran better. I cleaned (even though it didn't look THAT dirty), re-oiled, and installed it. It runs great now!

I think our older carbs are more fickle when it comes to airflow, than the newer style carb.
    2007 FZ1

1991 TW200

1972 CB350

2006 Goldwing

2008 WR250R

Sponosred Links