help with exhaust question
Close

ok, someone please set me straight! ive heard about using a ttr225 header pipe with a FMF powercore 4 muffler for a tw200. this sounds good with me cause i like the sound of the brand FMF. but how do i do it? on tuesday ill go and grab a 2011 tw200 and would like to know what are the nessasery parts to have. will it bolt right up in the stock locations? if the tw200 is a 2011 what year ttr225 header should i get? ive only been able to find a 2011 ttr230.also would i need any special exhaust gaskets or funky springs of some sort? as you can tell i have many questions about this topic and need much help. this is my first TW and i want to make it right the first time. thanks a bunch!

You will get a little more noise, but not much performance gains, some have said it lost power.

The mounts won't line up. Reported to be an easy fix.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The TTR and XT 225 use the same stainless steel header which will bolt up directly to a FMF Powercore on your 2011 TW(If you buy the FMF model made for a TW200) . There have been reports of the FMF muffler not aligning properly on some of the older TW's. I suspect they bought the TTR 225 FMF model. FMF reps have told me that the FMF is direct replacement for all model year TWs. The OEM exhuast is the same for all years, so why would the FMF not fit all years. The 2007 XT225 is the last year with a stainless header. The OEM part number is the same for the TTR and XT225.

The DG series oval and round series mufflers are direct replacements for the OEM and will work (bolt on)with the XT225 header. I have the oval and stainless header. They are less expensive than the FMF and have the mounts for the muffler heat shield.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DG-O-...-/200593662080

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...435448#fitment

Dusty

thanks for the replies and the links. got a better understanding now of what ill do.

Bottom is TTR/XT, top is TW. Yellow arrows are mounting bolt centers. You can also see the amount of dogleg in a TW pipe along with the different, more outboard rear mounting tab required to clear the tire. Generic or non-TW pipes are gunna involve some fiddling. The stockers appear to be nearly identical at first glance, but differ significantly between the three bikes, so be careful with aftermarket stuff.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

cool lizrdbrth, apicture is worth a thousand words

My xt225 head pipe and tw specific powercore bolted up without any mods.

I had to install the 94db quietcore/spark arrestor because the stock fmf was just too damn loud and I ride in National Forests. I then necked the pipe down to 3/4" to match the top end power of the stock pipe. It's still pretty loud when I get on the throttle.

I kept loosing about 4mph off the top end with a unrestricted exhaust on hills.

The bike was faster going downhill with a open pipe.

I spent hours meddling with jets and spacers to get my 4mph back to no avail. my usual riding is sea level to 5000'.

I now usually use the FMF in the summer and switch to the stock pipe during the wet riding/hunting season. It's bad juju if you let the fiberglass packing get wet on the fmf.

From fmf

"We recommend repacking your FMF muffler after every 20-30 hours

of normal use when properly jetted. This will maintain peak

performance and keep that race tone. Water will ruin the packing.

Cover the exhaust outlet when washing your machine. Repack your

muffler if water enters into the chamber."

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    My xt225 head pipe and tw specific powercore bolted up without any mods. I had to install the quietcore and then restricted the outlet a little more to match the top end power of the stock pipe. I kept loosing about 4mph off the top end with a unrestricted exhaust. I now usually use the FMF in the summer and switch to the stock pipe duiring the wet riding season. It's bad juju if you let the fiberglass packing get wet on the fmf.
    if you had to add restriction, I'm thinking the carb jetting was way off for the aftermarket pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by dustyg View Post
    The TTR and XT 225 use the same stainless steel header which will bolt up directly to a FMF Powercore on your 2011 TW(If you buy the FMF model made for a TW200) . There have been reports of the FMF muffler not aligning properly on some of the older TW's. I suspect they bought the TTR 225 FMF model. FMF reps have told me that the FMF is direct replacement for all model year TWs. The OEM exhuast is the same for all years, so why would the FMF not fit all years. The 2007 XT225 is the last year with a stainless header. The OEM part number is the same for the TTR and XT225.

The DG series oval and round series mufflers are direct replacements for the OEM and will work (bolt on)with the XT225 header. I have the oval and stainless header. They are less expensive than the FMF and have the mounts for the muffler heat shield.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DG-O-...-/200593662080

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...435448#fitment

Dusty

An updtae to this post! I posted some inaccurate info-although it was based on the best available info at the time!. The stock pipe bolts up fine to the DG Oval exhaust made for the TW. It does not quite bolt up to the TTR225 header. I missed something in my loose fit-up. The TTR225 pipe has an outward notch that stops it from going in far enough into the muffler to bolt up. I thought about grinding the notch down or cutting the pipe shorter. The pipe is longer than the TW OEM so I cut it just beyond the notch, ground the edges, worked it a few times and it bolted up.

So, to recap:

1. OEM header and TW specific FMF muffler=bolt on. (2003 and beyond)

2. OEM header and TW specific DG muffler=bolt on. (2003 and beyond)

3. TTR 225 stainless header and FMF muffler=bolt on (2003 and beyond)

4. TTR 225 stainless header and DG muffler= cut the header (or add spacers to front and rear) and then bolt on. (2003 and beyond)

5. 2002 and prior bikes: The 2002 and prior bikes have a slightly shorter mounting tab on the frame and a slightly shorter distance between the two mounting points on the muffler. A short spacer is needed to link a 2002 or older OEM header to a FMF or DG muffler made for the TW "all years".

OEM muffler part numbers:

2JX-14711-00-00 1987-2002

2JX-14711-10-00 2003-2012

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...between-years/

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...xhaust-dg-fmf/

Sponosred Links