tw200 problem
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tw200 problem

so...what other possibilities are there on the tw200 causing sputtering, backfire, rough idle, etc. besides the carburetor? electricals? it may still be the carb but like i have said before it has been cleaned 3 times, needle and seat replaced, 117.5 main jet and 2 and 1/2 turns out on the mixture screw. the engine and valves are very nice. it is a 1987 so im guessind its an electricasl issue. i took in the ignition coil and the tested it and said it was excellent. im thinking about taking it in to have them look at it but i was wondering if there is anything common that it most likely would be?

thanks in advance,

Nick

From what I've read, the 87 is notorious for CDI/electronics issues. I'll bet part of that is because the parts are 24 years old.

I've also heard of people accidentally shorting the wires when changing the front sprocket. That's something you could check quick and easy.

Did you check the carb boot for cracks like was mentioned in your other post?? That'll lean out your mixture and causes issues.

You need fuel and enough of it. If you've cleaned the carb 3 times, and each time was thorough, then you can eliminate lack of fuel, and with proper jetting you have enough.

You need air from the correct source. If your filter is clean and you don't have cracks in the carb boot (bad source of air) then you only have one thing left,

You need spark and at the correct time. Just because you get spark at the plug doesn't mean it's sparking at the correct time in the compression stroke.

I'm not familiar enough with the stators and its pickup on these bikes, could it have loosened up and slipped off its timing mark?? Or are they pinned in a single, known location??
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Myself and others have tried to steer you into methodically solving your bike's issues. At this point you're just shopping for easy answers.

You're in over your head. Time to get familliar with a multimeter or pay up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I thought you took it in to yamaha for electrical diagnosis.

Can you take a youtube video of you starting it, at idle and reving so we can see and hear the problems in relation to throttle position- idle, reving & wot. As I said before it is tough to solve a problem over the internet without going through a methodically step by step procedure. Help us help you

If you want to cut your losses, ship it to me and I give you 300 cash, I could use another 87.

Quote Originally Posted by demarko69 View Post
    If you want to cut your losses, ship it to me and I give you 300 cash, I could use another 87.

There you go, dizzle. Ship 87 to marko, go buy new 2011. Problem sooooolved. Hot dog hot dog hot diggity dog.

Quote Originally Posted by pgilles View Post
    Did you check the carb boot for cracks like was mentioned in your other post?? That'll lean out your mixture and causes issues.

I'm not familiar enough with the stators and its pickup on these bikes, could it have loosened up and slipped off its timing mark?? Or are they pinned in a single, known location??

The static timing is fixed and can not move, the CDI controls the advance curve and can not be "set" incorrectly. This eliminates human error.

But my best guess is still an air leak at the rubber manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Myself and others have tried to steer you into methodically solving your bike's issues. At this point you're just shopping for easy answers.

You're in over your head. Time to get familliar with a multimeter or pay up.

Im pretty sure that the 87 TW does not have a fixernut that is usually hidden under the tank on other bikes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links