CDI
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CDI

My bike is running like shit!!

It is a frankenstien of a motor from one bike and a frame and parts from others! No idea of the year of the engine as its a Jappanese import into thailand and vin numbers dont exist.

My problem is the wiring harness is home made and the CDI is the wrong type (Kawasaki!) causing all sorts of quirky things, lights flashing engine running badly.

I have decided to purchase a new wire assembly and CDI. How do i know wich one to buy. I understand there are three types of CDI's from looking at the yamaha site. (2001-2011) 5LB-85540-01-00, (1998-2000)2YG-85540-10-00, and (1988-1997) 2YG-85540-M0-00???????? is this correct?

My engine number number is 2JL-01-1687-37.

My question is: does anyone know what year this engine is and the part number for cdi and wiring harness? Can i use wiring harness and cdi from a different year? will this work with the starter motor etc? I have seen a bike on ebay being broken and it has a wiring loom and CDI. it is a 2007 TW200.

Thanks

Dave

I wish I could help you. I hate to suggest this lol, but if worst comes to worst, you could always buy one of each, and sell the wrong one (I thought there were only two?).
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Show us more detail of your engine, particularly the carb, which would narrow down the possibilities a bit. Does the carb drive from the left or the right?

Other clues as follows:

Do the front turn signals have 2 wires or 3?

Do the headlights come on when the key is in the "on" position, or only once the bike is running?

Front brake: disc, or drum?

Turn signal switch, push to cancel? How many wires exit the start/kill switch housing?

Where is the voltage regulator mounted? Is it lengthwise to the frame, or perpendicular?

How many wires exit the left crank case? Is there a single bundle, or two? How many wires and of what colors?

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Show us more detail of your engine, particularly the carb, which would narrow down the possibilities a bit.

THANKS FOR THE REPLY, I AM OVERSEAS AT THE MOMENT SO CANNOT SEE THE BIKE I AM JUST GOING ON PHOTO'S AND MEMORY.

Does the carb drive from the left or the right? THE CABLE COMES IN FROM THE LEFT. IT IS THE NEWER TYPE CARB WITH THE PLASTIC CAP

Other clues as follows:

Do the front turn signals have 2 wires or 3?TWO WIRES, BUT A HOME MADE HARNESS AND NON STANDARD INDICATORS!

Do the headlights come on when the key is in the "on" position, or only once the bike is running?ONLY WHEN THE ENGINE IS RUNNING BECAUSE IT HAS HAD A BATTERY LESSER INSTALLED FOR THE HOLLOW MOD

Front brake: disc, or drum?DISK

Turn signal switch, push to cancel? How many wires exit the start/kill switch housing?NEED TO BUY THE CONTROLLS

Where is the voltage regulator mounted? Is it lengthwise to the frame, or perpendicular?AGAIN NON STANDARD MOUNTING DUE TO HOLLOW MOD

How many wires exit the left crank case? Is there a single bundle, or two? How many wires and of what colors?FOUR FROM MEMORY AS I HAVE NO PHOTOS

I THINK I AM A BIT OUT OF MY DEPTH WITH THE WIRING SO MAY JUST HAND IT TO A MECHANIC TO ORDER AND INSTALL WIRING HARNESS AND SAVE ME THE COST OF ORDERING THE WRONG ONE!! IT WOULD BE GOOD TO KNOW THE YEAR, BUT AS LONG AS IT RUNS.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP SORRY MY ANSWERS WERE SO VAUGE. THE BIKES GOT A MESSY HISTORY OF LOST/STOLEN PARTS AND NO VIN TO INDICATE YEAR!!

I would love to see a photo of the entire bike. It looks as though it has an interesting paint scheme.

You have all the other equipment like the disc brake and late model carb so maybe you'll get lucky and find the late-model electricals under the engine side cover. If you decide to tackle it yourself let us know.

Buying some other guy's basket of snakes can be a real hassle, but I'm sure it can be sorted out. Good luck.

From here the bike at least LOOKS good.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

You have all the other equipment like the disc brake and late model carb so maybe you'll get lucky and find the late-model electricals under the engine side cover. If you decide to tackle it yourself let us know.

Buying some other guy's basket of snakes can be a real hassle, but I'm sure it can be sorted out. Good luck.

Cheers mate,

Decided to get the mechanic to pick it up while i am away. I have spent to long on this project and need to get some riding time in! Thanks for the input and yes hopfully it's the later model.

Quote Originally Posted by BBMS View Post
    I would love to see a photo of the entire bike. It looks as though it has an interesting paint scheme.
    here you go

It's Changed a bit since these photo's i decided to go with conventional motocross type aero bars instead. and added a mudguard. Have some other small cosmetic plans too once the engine is running well.

Living in rural Thailand is almost impossible to find trained mechanics, even in Bangkok. I just hired another mechanic to try and sort out my wiring and order the correct harness and CDI. He was unable to do it like the others before him, so the task has fallen to me after my 5th mechanic (first mechanic dissasembled my bike and gave it back in bits saying he couldnt do it, discovered a few parts missing!!)

I Have been doing some further investigation to try to find out what year my engine is so that i can put back standard wiring on it. Currently wrong CDI, no starter motor and lights not working properly. Home made harness (origional cut up by last mechanic!!.)

I contacted Yamaha, they told me My frame is a 1987.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-B...2520NUMBER.jpg

The engine is not the origional and the number looks like it has been tampered with (see photo post above.)

They have no record of my number. The first three numbers 2JL look like they where factory stamped but that indicates an engine somwhere from 87-99 according to list they sent bellow. But i am unsure if they are right, due to the number of stator wires and the Carb.

I need to narow down what year the engine is so i can order the parts and fix this bike myself.

Is there anyway of knowing wich year the carb was produced after? Assuming origional. The carb has the initials TK on it. See photo's

Also i have looked at the wiring coming out of the engine to try and narrow it down and belive by the number of wires it may be a post 2001. i understand from LIZRDBRTH and QUERTY'S POSTS that the wiring from 2001 changed to different stator producing more power. This i assume had more wires than the 87 to 2000 models. The manual shows more wires on post 2001. What is confusing is there have been many part# changes to stator and rotor from 87-2000 but no updated manuals showing differences. My colour codes dont match the manual.

I have 7 wires exiting the engine casing. Am i right in thinking that only matches post 2001 bikes?? is this correct??

3 white wires (connected, possibly to the wrong place)

1 Blue and white stripe (connected, possibly to the wrong place)

1 Red and white stripe (connected, possibly to the wrong place)

1 brown Not connected

1 Green Not connect

MY QUESTIONS ARE:

1 Can anyone help narow down the year of my engine looking at carb and Stator wires? (I am working overseas not home untill end of the month to open it for more photos')

2 Is there any other way to identify engine year? I saw many parts changes with new Part# on the yamaha parts site, but the drawings stay the same.

3 If i bought a post 2001, say from a complete bike a 2004 or 2007 complete electrical assembly. Everything from stator, Stator cover( i read on here you need the left engine cover too!), rotor, cdi, harness, switches, relays, coils, the whole lot. would it fit in any year? 1987-2012? Would a post 2001 rotor bolt onto any year engine? This seems the easyest way for me. not the cheapest but i want to make sure i get it working!!

Plug and play is more my capabilities!

Quote Originally Posted by bangkokbonk View Post

Wires exiting the side cover:

3 white wires would indicate 2001 and later. These go to the rectifier. the '87 has white and yellow wires between the stator and rectifier.

White with red stripe (w/r) and white with blue stripe (w/l) would indicate 2001 and later. These go to the CDI box.

There should also be a black with white stripe (b/w) and green with yellow stripe (g/y), which I imagine you will find cut off inside the cover. If so, you have an '01 or newer stator.

These also go to the CDI box. Check and see if the wires from the CDI box are w/r, w/l, b/w, and g/y. If so, you have a '01+ CDI box. If the CDI stator-to-box wires are white, green, red, and brown, you have an '87 CDI box.

Sky blue wire is neutral indicator switch, every year.

Looks like an '01+ carb. I'm thinking '01+ engine poorly adapted to an early harness. I'd pull the left engine cover and see what wires actually go to the stator. I expect the brown wire in your pic is connected to either the b/w or g/y under the cover. If the wires at the stator are w/r, w/l, b/w, and g/y, you have the preferred late model. Update the bike wiring and bits to match.

If the wires at the stator are w, g, r, and br, you have an early stator poorly adapted to a late model harness. In that case, I'd look to updating the engine bits to match the late harness.

When you get home, chase each wire and post up what color wire is connected to what on each end.

Just out of curiousity, have you ever seen this bike run? Don't worry, with patience we can get it going.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links