New Bike Blues - oil leak
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi all:

Bummer that my first post here is with a problem, but I just bought a 2004 with 2850 miles. Did a test ride and saw no problems. After about a 10 mile ride, I just noticed a what appears to be a base gasket leak on the left front. Bike is pristine otherwise. Any idea what this is going to cost me? I think pulling the motor is a little more than I am willing to do myself. So much for my good deal. I am in Sacramento.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Nermal43 View Post
    Hi all:

Bummer that my first post here is with a problem, but I just bought a 2004 with 2850 miles. Did a test ride and saw no problems. After about a 10 mile ride, I just noticed a what appears to be a base gasket leak on the left front. Bike is pristine otherwise. Any idea what this is going to cost me? I think pulling the motor is a little more than I am willing to do myself. So much for my good deal. I am in Sacramento.

Ken

No need to pull the motor. It's less than $50 in parts, and you can find the information on this forum to handle it. I did mine in about 2 hours. We're all here if you need any help, and there might even be a fellow T-Dubber in Sacramento.

Excellent news! I will take a look and beg for help if it is too much for me. I used to be on the KLR650 site, and this place seems to have the same sense of community. Thank you for the answer.

Ken

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Lots of us have KLRs and TWs.

I just bought a used 2006 TW200 and discovered a engine leak as well and it's the base gasket. Lucky the bike is still under warranty with GP Bikes. They are replacing the base gasket and a few other gaskets. Doesn't sound like a big issue to me, but not sure I'd wanna do it myself.

I got a quote earlier today from a Sac dealer for $200 plus parts. So, between $250 and $280. Another $20 for a valve adjustment. So much for feeling decent for getting the bike for $1800. I am on the fence on doing it myself. Time is the biggest problem.

Ken

Get a TW manual and get your hands dirty. If not I guess get use to getting screwed over cause $20 for a valve adjustment is a joke. Its so simple.

TWs are dandy DIY bikes. I've known many people over the years who stopped riding because of the high maintenance costs at the dealers. DIY keeps it cheap. A typical tune, lube, and clean the air filter takes about half an hour. Cost is about $25 in parts and oil. Dealers charge what?

Please tell me yammie only sells the 2010 or newer base gaskets.. If you tell them you have an 06 I sure hope they wouldn't order an 06... OMM.

Quote Originally Posted by omm View Post
    Please tell me yammie only sells the 2010 or newer base gaskets.. If you tell them you have an 06 I sure hope they wouldn't order an 06... OMM.
    They would. they don't know any better until Mommaha changes their comuter programming.

Insist on part # 5VC-11351-10-00

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links