gas cap rattle
Close

Thread: gas cap rattle

My gas cap has been driving me nuts lately. The metal covering part of the key cylinder on my gas cap rattles at certain RPMs. I have tried to spray some white lithium grease in there to try and quite it, but no dice. The only way I can get it to stop is to put my finger on it while I'm riding. I don't want to replace the cap as it is keyed the same as my ignition and helmet lock. Any ideas?
    2008 TW200 w/ 2" handlebar risers, Ricochet bash plate, KTM front fender lifted, factory rear rack.

2006 Kawasaki KFX400

2009 Yamaha Grizzly 350

2008 Arctic Cat DVX90

2010 Ford F-150 Supercrew FX4

2000 Ford F-150 Super cab 4x4

1966 Ford Mustang GT

I've never torn into one, but the tiny gate that closes the key slot when there is no key present must be held there by a spring. I have a derelict bike that has the ignition with that flapper hanging like a limp biscuit so it happens. One alternative is to replace your cap not with another locking cap, but a cap that has no lock to require an additional key. I run an older Yamaha cap (complete with tuning forks) that work great for me. Do you have the large cap (pre 2003) or small cap (post 2002). I've posted photos of these caps in previous message which a search should turn up. I'm betting a lock smith will charge to do anything for you and its microsurgery for you or me to even attempt. Cheers, Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

I have the smaller cap as I have an '08. I was trying not to go to a non locking cap. As for the "flap" inside the cylinder, it works fine. The metal plate that covers the cylinder is what is rattling on mine. It does not affect the function of the cap or cylinder, it is just an annoyance. I think it is a cosmetic piece, so maybe I can take it off somehow?
    2008 TW200 w/ 2" handlebar risers, Ricochet bash plate, KTM front fender lifted, factory rear rack.

2006 Kawasaki KFX400

2009 Yamaha Grizzly 350

2008 Arctic Cat DVX90

2010 Ford F-150 Supercrew FX4

2000 Ford F-150 Super cab 4x4

1966 Ford Mustang GT

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have noticed a high pitch buzzing at certain RPMs too. I wonder if mine is due to the gas cap....

You might try pushing a bit of fine-grained styrofoam between the two pieces that rattle. If that works, and the part isn't a moving part, follow up with a bit of caulk or silicon sealer.

You might try a very gentle tap with a hammer to wedge the rattling pieces together.

Sponosred Links