smoking tw
Close

Thread: smoking tw

first of all, hi all.

ive been lurking for a while since i sold my klr650. picked up a tw200 for 500 someone was (reportedly) using as a ranch bike.

short version: smokes at idle, smokes more as throttle rolls on. the more gas you give it the more smoke it makes.

smoke is light whiteish/blueish. whats broke?

long version: story sort goes like this, i found a 1998 tw200 for sale so i call the guy.

seller: "it runs good, we just have to many bikes around here and need to clear some out"

me: "when was the last time it ran?"

seller: "a few months ago"

me: "anything wrong with it?"

seller: "its just a rough old farm bike"

me: "do you have the title?"

seller: "no, i got it in a storage auction"

(at this point i run the vin to see if its stolen, comes back clean)

me: "do you have the key?"

seller "yes we have the key"

me: "...... whelp, ok ill take it"

i drive down to pick it up. the tank is bone dry and there's no battery. load it on the trailer, get it home and the only gas i have on hand is mixed for my chainsaw. i figure it wont hurt anything to test it out with the gas/oil mix. put the gas in, hook the jumper box up. lights, camera, action... its fires up on the second crank SUCCESS!!!! i notice its smoking and idling rough and i chalk it up to the 2cycle mixed fuel. at this point im grinning from ear to ear. OH HEY LOOK THERES FUEL LEAKING FROM THE CARB!.... and the petcock, ...and the bottom of both side of the tank. ok lets shut this firetrap down for the day shall we!

rust free tank from a 87, new petcock, new carb float bowl seal and the leaks are gone. i fill it with fresh (oil free, lol) gas and fire it up. smokes at first.... still smokes.... 20 mins of playing with the carb and its still smoking. i decide to take it for a ride.

doesn't seem to be low on power (but then again the last thing this small i rode was a worn out late 70s dt175 .....20 years ago so my expectations might be low)

im not really an engine guy but its sounds like the valves are sucking air and they are mighty slappy. i pulled off the exhaust valve cover and it be very oily in there capt. can that be right? on one hand id like to think they are well lubricated, on the other hand im pretty sure those suckers open up into the cylinder somewhere so maybe excess oil is a bad thing.

ive heard the "valve guides/seals/whatchamdoojigy" leaking would cause smoke. but ive also heard it would be when you let off the throttle more than under power (dont really understand why) so im thinking maybe rings? idk what sort of tests slash tear downs should i be doing?

i dont really feel cheated. i figured something had to be wrong with it to get it for 5 bills. i mean even if i throw 1000 at it (hard to imagine since im doing all my own work) id still be way ahead of the game to have a good running 98 tw thanks for any help you can send my way.

Do a complete tune/service/lube, and think of all the positive benefits around the campground, such as many fewer mosquitos.

Blue smoke is oil. I would guess rings. Top end gaskets, o-rings, and piston rings about $50. Piston runs about $40-45 more. Top end can be done in the frame, takes 2-3 hours if cylinder only needs to be honed.

Do a compression check.

Bikes that sit can have lots of things go wrong. Rings can stick, cylinders get pitted by moisture, etc. allowing oil to blow by. Sometimes the rings can free themselves with time, but if it were mine I'd just do the top end and be done with it.

If you're just gunna run it, have another look at your oil screens A.S.A.P.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

sounds like good advice. thanks guys!

oh and thanks for the carb tuning thread qwerty, it helped me get it running.

Quote Originally Posted by owlsevensix View Post
    sounds like good advice. thanks guys!

oh and thanks for the carb tuning thread qwerty, it helped me get it running.
    de nada. Carb work is actually pretty easy once one overcomes the rumors. Most people are simply too lazy to take the time to make one adjustment at a time, ride, adjust, ride, adjust, ride, adjust, ... . It really is a never ending process with changing weather, altitude, and the broad range of fuel quality we experience today.

Sponosred Links