1995 TW200
Close

Thread: 1995 TW200

Hi, Was wondering if anyone could ball park what it would cost to replace the first gear of a 1995 TW200. I am thinking of purchasing a use bike with only 2k miles on it but am told it's first gear is clicking and needs replacement.

Thank you for your time. M

Lots? Depending on what shop time costs in your neck of the woods this would be one of those things that is a real dealbreaker.

Transmission work means complete dissassembly. Engine out, case halves split, repair/ replace gears, re-assemble.

8+ hours shop time, gears, bearings, gaskets ans seals as needed?

You'll need to get it dirt cheap in order to risk it. Unfortunately replacing gears or bent shift arms is fairly major.

It's odd that a bike with so few miles would have tranny issues. That would tend to make me suspicious about how it was used and cared for during that 2,000 miles as well.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Offer to haul the bike off for $50.

If memory serves, 1st drive gear is integral with the main shaft, $50. 1st driven is $36. Complete gasket set is about $70. Piston rings run about $20. Assuming there are no other problems with the bike, that's $176 plus shipping if you shop around on the internet for discount parts. If you go to dealer parts will cost 35-50% more. If the overhaul takes 8 hours at $90/hour, plus sales tax, the cost will be well over $1000.

You'll also need to budget to replace the old tires, tubes, and rimstrips due to age. $225 online. Figure $300, plus $50 to mount and sales tax if you have a shop do it.

If the chain and sprockets are original, at best they are half worn out and will soon need replacement. $55 for a cheap set no better than the originals, $115 for a set with an o-ring chain ordered online and DIY. Add in $10 for the side cover gasket. If you go to a shop, add 30% for parts, $100 for labor, and sales tax.

DIY with online sources you're looking at a possible it'll cost $600-650 to put this bike on the road with some level of safety. If you have a dealer do it, you'll be looking at $1000+ more. That is, assuming there is nothing else wrong with the bike.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Offer to haul the bike off for $50.

If memory serves, 1st drive gear is integral with the main shaft, $50. 1st driven is $36. Complete gasket set is about $70. Piston rings run about $20. Assuming there are no other problems with the bike, that's $176 plus shipping if you shop around on the internet for discount parts. If you go to dealer parts will cost 35-50% more. If the overhaul takes 8 hours at $90/hour, plus sales tax, the cost will be well over $1000.

You'll also need to budget to replace the old tires, tubes, and rimstrips due to age. $225 online. Figure $300, plus $50 to mount and sales tax if you have a shop do it.

If the chain and sprockets are original, at best they are half worn out and will soon need replacement. $55 for a cheap set no better than the originals, $115 for a set with an o-ring chain ordered online and DIY. Add in $10 for the side cover gasket. If you go to a shop, add 30% for parts, $100 for labor, and sales tax.

DIY with online sources you're looking at a possible it'll cost $600-650 to put this bike on the road with some level of safety. If you have a dealer do it, you'll be looking at $1000+ more. That is, assuming there is nothing else wrong with the bike.

Thank you for the great input. This is way to much for me to take on. I need something I can rely on every day. The bike is priced at $1,100 and does not look bad from the pictures. I have not seen it in person., but it sounds like it would need a lot of money and or time spent on it. Thanks again. Here is a link http://ocala.craigslist.org/mcy/2478714919.html

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Lots? Depending on what shop time costs in your neck of the woods this would be one of those things that is a real dealbreaker.

Transmission work means complete dissassembly. Engine out, case halves split, repair/ replace gears, re-assemble.

8+ hours shop time, gears, bearings, gaskets ans seals as needed?

You'll need to get it dirt cheap in order to risk it. Unfortunately replacing gears or bent shift arms is fairly major.

It's odd that a bike with so few miles would have tranny issues. That would tend to make me suspicious about how it was used and cared for during that 2,000 miles as well.

Thank you for the great input. M

Sponosred Links