Cooling Fins
Close

Thread: Cooling Fins

My cylinder cooling fins are in sad shape after sitting for years in a Florida carport. What is the best treatment for good cooling?

I know wire brush them and paint black or silver will look good but what works for best cooling?

1. Wire brush and leave alone?

2. Wire brush and paint black???

3. Something else?

Most folks don't note much temp increase with paint added. Regardless, leaving it bare will just let it happen again, depending on where you store it. Even out of the factory I believe they threw a high-temp clear coat on there.

Wire brush,clean with dish soap and water,let dry. Then mask off areas you don't want painted and use BBQ black grill paint. Leaves a tough good looking finish and is easy to touch up.I've also used this on exhaust pipes with good results. Just make sure the surface is clean!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Typical aluminum oxidation--always a problem in warm, humid environments. Even more so near salt water.

Wire brush and paint is an excellent solution. Replace the spark plug with a bolt for the brushing, then use compressed air to clean the scrapings before replacing the spark plug.

Flat or crinkle finish engine paint can actually enhance cooling by increasing surface area. Special engine paints are available. Special exhaust paints are also available, but I doubt the engine will ever get hot enough to properly cure an exhaust paint. The BBQ paint sounds intriguing, as long as it can be had in a flat finish.

I've found the BBQ paint in both flat and gloss. Nice thing too is no primer needed. Some time ago I bought some high dollar hi-temp paint and primer. Made sure head pipe was rust free and clean. Damm stuff peeled off in less than a week and this was following the drying times and heat cycles. Sanded the stuff off,sprayed on BBQ paint and it was still looking good several years later when I sold the bike.

Dulicolor 500 degree Semi-gloss. Sticks like snot.

Prep is everything.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Not perfect but not bad either. BBQ black and 500 degree gray/silver. Little wire brush work and a good cleaning to get oil/grease off prior.

Note that is also a used (ebay) TTR225 exhaust header. Fits right on. Heat shield was not included so I modified the TW heat shield to fit. I like the Stainless over the old rusted header.

Big improvement. I know it can get annoying, but try to give it a garden hose rinse every week or two with sunny days to dry it off, or at least after big rides.

RE: "Prep is everything" how about this home made soda blaster. I have a friend who restores cars for a living, he does entire cars with a commercial unit.
    GOD BLESS & RIDE SAFE, TC____________ BC rides: Honda SL100, Honda TL125, Penton125 ISDT, KTM400 ISDT

now riding '06 TW w/ Jimbo Window, Acerbis bushbusters, ProTaper bars w/risers, Pro Grip 737's, Osram Rally headlamp w/modulator, turn signal beeper, Kenda k270 4.00 x 18,
    triple horns w/relay, big pegs, folding shifter, tuned carb w/drilled slide, 15/50 w/D.I.D. O-ring, RedLine 20w/50, Sterns w/extra padding, extra LED brake light, xt225 brake arm, rear Cycle Racks w/hacked milk crate. Hidden Content

Sponosred Links