Puffing smoke
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Puffing smoke

Puffing smoke

The group I rode with today said my TW was puffing smoke when I was downshifting to control my downhill speed, and upshifting up hills. Is this normal or do I need valve adjustments?
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    "SickPuppy76"
    Greg from Glenville

2014 TW200 rear Cyclerack with bag supports and Versapack saddlebags, upgraded foot pegs, Mad Dog seat cover
    2014 Nissan Pathfinder 4WD
    2005 Buick Rainier AWD
    2001 Bass Tracker Pro Team 185XT
    Old Town Trip10 Angler Kayak

How many miles on your bike? Are you using considerable amounts of oil? Valves being out of adjustment shouldn't cause you to burn oil.. Maybe if the exhaust is excessively tight creating more crankcase pressure.

Most likely you just overfilled it with oil. Causing an increase in crankcase pressure, pushing the oil into your airbox.

Otherwise the most common places for oil bypass is valve stem seals (smokes at cold start) Or around the piston ring. Both will get consistently worse over time.

Just check your oil religiously. If your burning a little bit its not the end of the world. A little extra lube wont hurt.
    Last edited by haroman145; 10-02-2016 at 09:38 PM.
    1987 Yamaha TW200
    1999 DR 350 SE
    2008 Beta 525 RR

Burning a little oil will carbon up the combustion chamber thereby increase the compression ration and giving you more power. A silver lining to every cloud!
    Lyterx and jtomelliott49 like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

My bike is 19 miles shy of 5000. Last time the valves were adjusted was 600 miles. Runs like it did when it was new. Oil level looks fine and oil is clean, it was changed at 4300 miles, at which time they told me it was low on oil, so is apparently using some. The previous oil change was at 2200 miles. So I'm checking it way more often now, like every ride.
    jtomelliott49 and littletommy like this.
    "SickPuppy76"
    Greg from Glenville

2014 TW200 rear Cyclerack with bag supports and Versapack saddlebags, upgraded foot pegs, Mad Dog seat cover
    2014 Nissan Pathfinder 4WD
    2005 Buick Rainier AWD
    2001 Bass Tracker Pro Team 185XT
    Old Town Trip10 Angler Kayak

Quote Originally Posted by SickPuppy76 View Post
    My bike is 19 miles shy of 5000. Last time the valves were adjusted was 600 miles. Runs like it did when it was new. Oil level looks fine and oil is clean, it was changed at 4300 miles, at which time they told me it was low on oil, so is apparently using some. The previous oil change was at 2200 miles. So I'm checking it way more often now, like every ride.
    Having oil changes and valve adjustments done somewhere else? Do it yourself, save some money and get piece of mind that the maintenance actually got done.
    littletommy likes this.
    1987 Yamaha TW200
    1999 DR 350 SE
    2008 Beta 525 RR

Sounds like piston rings?

Downshifting/engine braking regularly instead of using the brakes can wear out piston rings quicker [not implying you do this- just a thought]. Worn rings would lead to excessive oil usage, more so at higher rpm.

Also if it was leaking from the top a valve adjustment would not solve anything, you would need to replace the valve stem seal. #6 on this picture:

2009 Yamaha TW200 (TW200Y) Valve | MRCycles
    littletommy likes this.

Try changing the oil again.What oil are you using??I change mine every couple hundred kms or when it starts getting hard to shift gears.It only holds a liter so the oil takes a beating and may break down quicker.
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ssgtrillium View Post
    Try changing the oil again.What oil are you using??I change mine every couple hundred kms or when it starts getting hard to shift gears.It only holds a liter so the oil takes a beating and may break down quicker.
    Wow, that a lot of oil changes. I change usually after 2,500 or 3,000 miles. Have 24,000 miles on one TW and 13,000 on the other. But I must admit, I am always surprised how easy it is to shift after an oil change.
    littletommy likes this.

valve adjustment has nothing to do with burning oil. worn valve seals will give a puff of blue on a cold start and worn rings will show blue the rest of the time
    haroman145, littletommy and Purple like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

I used to puff smoke a lot but I quit in 81 on my doctors advice. Puffing smoke is not good for you or your bike unless one of you is a two stroke..
    Rings and valve guides are the most serious possibilities, but check the possibility of oil in the air intake system first, possibly from breather tubes to the air intake box.
    A compression check can reveal worn rings.
    littletommy and SickPuppy76 like this.
    Phelonius

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links