IS MY SHOCK SHOT???
Close

Had a great time riding my recently purchased 87 tw around the backroads (dirt and asphalt, no off road) last week,.....until I woke the next morning with a SUPER-SORE lower back. Going back and sitting on the bike I noticed that I can compress the rear suspension about an inch with little effort and then there is a sudden "hit" or stop in the compression....from here I have to really bounce down with all of my weight to compress any further, which it does, but it feels very "boingy". I don't have any other tw's around to compare to, but it seems like it's all just spring. Time for a replacement rear shock I assume?

Well they are 50 years old..and if youve ridden a mx bike before they surely wont compare as far as suspension goes. I just tend to stand up more and let me legs take the abuse..
    2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

I dunno, does it have a bullet hole in it?

The stock shock isn't the best in the world. When I replace Tdub's shock I'll adapt a better shock from another bike.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Excuse my lack of searching qwertyuiop, but is there another shock that wont raise the bike too much?
    2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

The stock spring is harsh as heck unless you weigh over 200 pounds.

Nature of the beast.

You can lighten it up (slightly) by moving the preload clip down to the third groove. The location of the grooves is in the "shock" sticky.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Exclamation

Actually, they're 40 years old (my vertebrae) Yeah, I guess I've been spoiled by long travel motocross suspension xdac. No the shock doesn't have a hole in it, but I'd like to put one in it after that jarring ride . On a serious note, QWERTY,( if you read this)what would be your personal choice if you had to replace the rear shock?

Thanks Lizrdbrth, I'll have to try that. I've also read your post on cutting the rubber stopper/bumper to give an extra inch of travel. Might try that too.....

Rex my friend, someone spent lots of time putting together this pretty comprehensive post on rear shocks. Take a look. Gerry

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/topic/1144-rear-shock/
    Take care my Friend.........

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    Actually, they're 40 years old (my vertebrae) Yeah, I guess I've been spoiled by long travel motocross suspension xdac. No the shock doesn't have a hole in it, but I'd like to put one in it after that jarring ride . On a serious note, QWERTY,( if you read this)what would be your personal choice if you had to replace the rear shock?
    I'm kind of liking what I've read about the 600 crotch rocket shock. I'm about 200 pounds and usually pack a load of gear so the stock spring rate is still a bit stiff.

jvt
    The rear shock is a loose fit. Just watch the play in it when you lift the rear of the bike.On some it is like the shock pin is way undersize.

Jim

Sponosred Links