chock doesn't seem to work
Close

I have been working on a friends 87 TW200. It sat for years and the carb was pretty nasty once opened up. I cleaned the carb to include jets and installed a new needle and seat. Bike wont start with choke out. It will eventually start with choke in and runs really well when warmed up.Any suggestions. I didn't pull the choke apart or the diaphram on the side of the carb as I wasn't sure if parts were available if something got damaged. Any suggestions before I pull the carb apart again.

Thanks Dave

When it starts is there a puff of smoke and the smell of gasoline? Does the throttle need to be held open to get the engine to start? Is the plug wet with gas? Is the float height set correctly?

No smoke just slow to start. It seems to start easier when opening the throttle a bit while cranking. I never checked the plug to see if its wet. I don't think its flooding with the choke on. The float level may be slightly low. I didn't have the measurement for it. After the new valve and seat were installed it was leaking out the over flow. I lowered the level a little so it wouldn't overflow. The float centerline is basically horitontal or just angled down when the valve closes. The pilot is 2 1/2 out from fully seated.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Go back into the carb and do a thorough cleaning. Make sure the float is set correctly. Did you clean the petcock? It could be having a flow issue, too.

I will recheck everything. I installed a in-line filter as the tank was a little rusty. What should the float be set at. Is their a measurement from the bottom of float and carb bowl mating surface?

Procedure for float adjustment is in the manuals you can download from this forum.

well, I took it apart last nite. I didn't find any obvious problems with being dirty. I discovered that the o-ring I used between the carb body & bowl was possibly too large and may have caused some restriction. The pilot screw was out 2 1/2 turns. The float level was a little low. I put it back together & rasied the float, added 1 1/2 turns to the pilot and bam it starts instantly when cold using choke and runs better that it possibly ever has. Did a little fine adjustment to the pilot screw. Not exactly sure what the fix was or if a combination of three things. I am curious what the bike is worth, its a 87 with 1500 miles and some minor rust in places from outside storage and the plastics are uv damaged. Pete wants to sell it now that it works as it should. Qwerty thanks for the help.

Dave

de nada

The bike is worth whatever you can get someone to pay for it.

Sponosred Links