replaced pulsar coil, cleaned carb multiple times still no top end
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    hi all i just recently purchhased a 1989tw 200 after riding for about 2 days it quit and would not start long story short it was the pulsar coil after making a aftermarket coil work it will start and idle but i can only get about 1/4 throttle before it starts to spit and sputter ive cleaned the carb 2 times and installed an inline fuel filter i even pulled the seat for the float valve and cleaned behind it and cleaned the screen ive tried adjusting the air screw from all in to all out at the expense of a burnt hand to no avail i also tried 2 diffrent coils and bolth give me the same results also checked the intake boot on the carb and its not sucking air i half heartedly susspect the cdi anyone have any other ideas?
    --If at first you don't succeed try, try again. If you still don't succeed BEAT IT WITH A HAMMER!--

Was it running good for the 2 days that it did run?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Was it running good for the 2 days that it did run?
    yea like a raped ape had her up to around 60 and burnt a tank of gas through her
    --If at first you don't succeed try, try again. If you still don't succeed BEAT IT WITH A HAMMER!--

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mrtrytofixit View Post
    yea like a raped ape had her up to around 60 and burnt a tank of gas through her

I doubt it would be the CDI. I would be suspect of using an aftermarket coil, but if you know with 100% certainty that the coil is now functioning properly, I would just go down the list and check everything. Did it quit while you were riding it, or did it just not want to start back up after cooling off?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    I doubt it would be the CDI. I would be suspect of using an aftermarket coil, but if you know with 100% certainty that the coil is now functioning properly, I would just go down the list and check everything. Did it quit while you were riding it, or did it just not want to start back up after cooling off?
    well someone had jerry-rigged another pulsar coil on it with a nasty weld and had it way to close to the flywheel it busted off when i was in 2nd gear but im now doubting the cdi as a problem as i said i cleaned the carb out really really well with a strand of copper wire and canned air not just a bath but i also notice that its running really hot and getting hot very quickly and i just put in fresh oil 20w-50 im wondering now if it could be a pilot jet adjustment needed i wasn't sure when i cleaned it so i just screwed it in all the way also maybe float out of adjustment because fuel is coming out of the overflow? on the bottom of the bowl could these cause what i explained ?

oh and i also went through and unwrapped the wire harnness and checked for and fixed all rubbs and connections and rewired a section of the wires from the stater where there was some cracking when i say fixed i mean auto grade waterproof heatshrinks not tape

ok i read something on here about the pilot screw having a oring and washer on the tiny end and i dont remember seeing them when i took it apart maybe im on to something ?

Quote Originally Posted by mrtrytofixit View Post
    ok i read something on here about the pilot screw having a oring and washer on the tiny end and i dont remember seeing them when i took it apart maybe im on to something ?

If the bike idles well then I wouldn't put much time into the pilot circuit. Check www.bikebandit.com for part diagrams to confirm use of o-ring.

I'd be suspect of the replacement coil and how you "made it work". I think you need to explain that more for these guys to help you.
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

i have the air box unhooked and the guy at my local yamishop said that that might be an issue throwing off the jetting im gonna hook it back up and give er a try and see if that helps any

also i used a rmstator pickup coil that was in spec from the one that i took out of the bike i measured the clearences and posistioning of the pickup and made a bracket from aluminum to align the coil where the working one was located

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links