Tw shuts off while ridding
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hey all, I am new to the forum and new to the world of the tw. I bought a 01 for my first bike and have been riding it since may. Today as i was riding it the bike shut off twice. This has happened once before and I don't know the reason for it. I am guessing its the engine over heating, but I know very little about such things and would like to know for sure why the bike is doing this and how to fix it.

Sounds like you can start it up again when this happens? Check the sidestand safety switch.
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

My 89 has done that since I got it, but is very intermittent. It is disconcerting in the middle of a left turn<G>. I haven't solved the issue yet, but it is like the fuel was shut off and a non venting gas cap as a possible cause. However, that is not likely as it has happened to me fairly soon after starting out so not enough time for the tank to draw a vacuum and stop the flow of gas. It is more than likely electrical, but I don't think mine is related to the kill switch, but it still could be the kickstand switch or maybe the coil or cdi.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I'd go over the bike from end to end looking for unplugged or corroded wire terminals. If no fault found, I'd start bypassing the safety switches one at a time, riding a few days, and if the problem doesn't occur, voila!

It doesn't seem like mine is electrical becuase it does not want to start right back up after it dies. On both occasions that it has happened I have been traveling at a good rate of speed for a little while and then it just shuts off. It has never happened just once either, on the occasions when this happened it did it again maybe 5 minutes later during the ride. I get home and let it sit and I can ride it for a couple of weeks with no problem.

A loose connection is just that a loose connection. Any movement of the bike, or tilt can cause it to contact and work for a moment or a week. Your problem sounds like a loose connection. Check every electrical connection and look for rubbed wires that may be shorting out. Its not fun, but thats the way to solve the problem. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

i had this same problem with my tw200 and mine is a new 2011. a none venting gas cap is a perfect way to describe it. im yet to find anything wrong as far as loose wires and i had plenty of gas when it happened. it might just be one of those tw things. it however has not happened since the rejet and exhaust swap.

Quote Originally Posted by mr zannini View Post
    i had this same problem with my tw200 and mine is a new 2011. a none venting gas cap is a perfect way to describe it. im yet to find anything wrong as far as loose wires and i had plenty of gas when it happened. it might just be one of those tw things. it however has not happened since the rejet and exhaust swap.

It happened to me just again today. I check some of the wiring and don't believe it is electrical. After it shuts off it will not start right away but does have electrical power and can hear it try to start unlike when your kickstand is down. It won't turn over, sounds like it needs to be choaked but obvioulsy since this has happened after 30+ min of riding that shouldn't be the case. Any new thoughts?? Maybe a related item maybe not, but when i came home today i saw it is leaking oil. i keep it in the garage so I would have noticed if this has even happened before, which it has not. Starting to get a little worried

How swiftly eliminate a basic ignition fault.

1. Put a spare sparking plug in your pocket.

2. Ride the bike until it stops.

3. Immediately take off suppressor cap and fit spare plug.

4. Earth plug on cylinder head and kick the bike over, a spark means ignition ok (at a basic level)

Note: DO NOT TOUCH PLUG WHEN CRANKING BIKE

If sparking.....

5. Let engine cool down enough to remove the sparking plug and examine the colour carefully.

This is the difficult part from thousands of miles away in rain soaked UK. I can't see your plug.

Without you being able to describe the plug to me I will go on the next course of eliminations...

6. Clean the plug or fit a new plug and try to start the bike.

7. Remove plug. If wet you have you now have fuel and ignition. Not good. Test compression by pressing your thumb over plug hole and cranking bike.

Typical good compression pressure should blow your thumb away from plug hole. If you can hold your thumb there you probably have valve/piston issues.

8. If plug is dry, you have a fuel system problem.

The best thing to do is get yourself a workshop manual and methodically work through the time honoured process of elimination.

Good luck dude.

Seems to be a few new TW owners with problems at the moment???
    We're in 'Bat Country' now....

Thanks fox, I will have to try that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links