Starting Problems
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My 2007 TW has been acting up for the past week. The bike runs fine once its bump started. The problem is that hitting the start button makes the solenoid click, but the starter does not engage. In the past this problem resolved itself by putting bike in gear and slightly pushing it with the clutch out. Checked the battery and the charge is fine.

Not sure where to start, but would suspect that the main power feed to the starter may either be loose or have some corrosion built up. Any help on where to start would be appreciated.

I saw the posts about installing a kick starter and will be doing that soon. For a bike like this, I’m surprised they left it off, must have lowered the MSRP by $30.

Quote Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
    My 2007 TW has been acting up for the past week. The bike runs fine once its bump started. The problem is that hitting the start button makes the solenoid click, but the starter does not engage. In the past this problem resolved itself by putting bike in gear and slightly pushing it with the clutch out. Checked the battery and the charge is fine.

Not sure where to start, but would suspect that the main power feed to the starter may either be loose or have some corrosion built up. Any help on where to start would be appreciated.

I saw the posts about installing a kick starter and will be doing that soon. For a bike like this, I’m surprised they left it off, must have lowered the MSRP by $30.

First place to start are the battery post. Remove, clean and tighten them. If the issues are the same, make sure that the wire to the starter is tight. There are a lot of parts in the starter circut, however from your description I doubt it is any of the safety switches (clutch, kickstand, engine emerg.stop,) so that leaves the starter relay. Check the wires going to and from it. It all of the wires are tight, You will need to start checking voltage beginning at the starter while it is engaged and then start working back toward the battery to find out where the voltage drop takes place.

Quote Originally Posted by biglefti View Post
    First place to start are the battery post. Remove, clean and tighten them. If the issues are the same, make sure that the wire to the starter is tight. There are a lot of parts in the starter circut, however from your description I doubt it is any of the safety switches (clutch, kickstand, engine emerg.stop,) so that leaves the starter relay. Check the wires going to and from it. It all of the wires are tight, You will need to start checking voltage beginning at the starter while it is engaged and then start working back toward the battery to find out where the voltage drop takes place.

Thanks Biglefti

Battery posts are good and tight, and as far as I can tell, the safety switches work as they should. I'm in Florida and the bike lives outside under a cover most of the time. I'm guessing moisture and humidity may be the ultimate problem for me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Be sure to check both ends of the battery ground wire. Sometimes they fail at the connection to the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by biglefti View Post
    Be sure to check both ends of the battery ground wire. Sometimes they fail at the connection to the frame.

I finally had some time today to get back to working on the bike. 5 kids = no me time.

Everything seemed to check out except the starter relay, so I have one on order. The cable connection to the starter had some massive corrosion. I had to cut off the bolt (or maybe it was a screw, too much rust to tell) and drill it out to get it disconnected.

My brother in law opined that the corrosion may have caused too much amperage and fried the relay. However, the 2 20 amp fuses were fine. The bike had a history of difficult starting. My daughter uses it occasionally and has managed to drain the battery a dozen times trying to the start the bike.

corrosion cannot increase amperage and fry a really. Ever. Never listen to your brother-in-law again.

Ran into a problem this morning. It was cold and haven't ran the dub for a week or so. turned key and lights and horn and electrical worked fine. push the starter button and nothing. tried to kick start it no go in N and with stand up. Tried push starting as per push starting thread, gave a weak put and that was it. Bad battery? Bad starter? It was around 47*F.

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    MojoJojo - That corroded connection could have such a high resistance, little current flows through it. If you redo it to a new clean one, your problem may be solved.

TWBARR - Your battery is discharged. Lights and horn and dash may light up, but there's not enough juice to turn over the starter motor or fire the plug. Does the relay click, does the starter motor click? Have you checked the battery voltage? It should read at least 12.6V if it is charged. Charge the battery and try it again.

Were you using the choke when you were trying to kickstart it? How many times did you try to kickstart it?

The starter is an electric motor and has nothing to do with starting the bike using the kickstand.

Or some other alternatives --

Do you have the RUN/OFF switch in the OFF position?

Was the fuel turned on at the petcock?

Quote Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
    MojoJojo - That corroded connection could have such a high resistance, little current flows through it. If you redo it to a new clean one, your problem may be solved.

TWBARR - Your battery is discharged. Lights and horn and dash may light up, but there's not enough juice to turn over the starter motor or fire the plug. Does the relay click, does the starter motor click? Have you checked the battery voltage? It should read at least 12.6V if it is charged. Charge the battery and try it again.

Were you using the choke when you were trying to kickstart it? How many times did you try to kickstart it?

The starter is an electric motor and has nothing to do with starting the bike using the kickstand.

Or some other alternatives --

Do you have the RUN/OFF switch in the OFF position?

Was the fuel turned on at the petcock?

There is no click from the relay or starter. The push button has been a little sketchy. Tried kick starting maybe ten times. First few with no choke then the rest with choke on. switch is on and petcock is turned on. (should have ran carb dry, but didn't know about the weahter change to drastic) Have not checked the voltage at battery. There was a moment of excitement we it almost turned over when i was push starting it. I habe a long gravel drive and the grass was wet so I wouldn't of had much luck push starting anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by TWBARR View Post
    There is no click from the relay or starter. The push button has been a little sketchy. Tried kick starting maybe ten times. First few with no choke then the rest with choke on. switch is on and petcock is turned on. (should have ran carb dry, but didn't know about the weahter change to drastic) Have not checked the voltage at battery. There was a moment of excitement we it almost turned over when i was push starting it. I habe a long gravel drive and the grass was wet so I wouldn't of had much luck push starting anyway.

Is there a spark?

You don't need a battery for the TW to run. If it's not firing off the kickstarter, something else is going on. Safety switches would be a place to start . Bypass them.

Edit: was the key ON? Kill switch set to run? I've had my fair share of brainfarts over the year. It happens.
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links