odd cutout after gassing up
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    my wife's TW is sometimes giving a bit of concern

occasionally acts as if out of gas or kill switch has been flicked on.

this has happened on a few occasions now, twice after fuelling up, heading down the road and bwwwwwwwrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrpoooooooooowwwwwww. slowing to a stop, sucking the air in but no spark in engine,

and once just after setting off from a carpark, we'd stopped at a beach near us for an hours swim...

any ideas?

could be the side stand switch?

or dirt in the tank/ carb?

she was a bit scared today as it happened on a 2 lane freeway - she'd gassed up o the way home from work, and setting off again she was left with out power on the side of the road trying to re start.......

your thoughts are appreciated...
    2001 TW200 - supertrapp stubby exhaust

1996 CRM 250 - 2 smoker - FMF exhaust

1998 Honda CB600 Hornet - ( a.k.a Honda 599 ) - micron , ohlins rear - CB600F3 front forks..

Thinking outloud and before my first cup of coffee I'd suggest. If the problem is the usual gang of safety switches the starter won't turn. If its lack of fuel or a vapor lock the starter will turn but the engine won't catch. I'm betting you are dealing with a weak spring on the kick stand, or a bad switch in that area. Good luck. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by peruano View Post
    I'm betting you are dealing with a weak spring on the kick stand, or a bad switch in that area.
    With my limited experience with the '87 I am working on, it is the kickstand switch every time. I'm sure I'll end up bypassing the switch, but until then, I work the kickstand up and down several times, and that does the trick .... until the next time! MY

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

guys thanks for your thoughts.. and I need a coffee too now!

Tom -good points! firstly it has happened whilst I was riding - and the starter did turn after but she took a good few goes before catching.. !!!

strange it happened a few times after gassing up... blocked fuel line or crud in the tank?

here is said wife on said TW

1998 Honda CB600 Hornet - ( a.k.a Honda 599 ) - micron , ohlins rear - CB600F3 front forks..

i think it may have some electrical issues tho,,,

it's not easy to start if its in gear - starter turns but takes ages to "catch"

if in neutral its first ( ish) time starting pretty reliably even from cold..

That's not usually electric, that's usually a bit of clutch drag that keeps it from starting. Expecially if it will start in gear easily once the oil is warm.

If it seems to happen after you fill the tank then you should consider how that could trigger the event. Possibly water in the fuel tank that is stirred up by filling the tank. If you keep the tank topped off all the time and never run on reserve then water could be accumulating in the lowest part of the tank which is held in reserve. Try pulling the fuel line off and draining a few ounces of gas into an empty bottle. If water is present it will be at the bottom of the bottle. Good old E10. Sucks water right out of the air. This isn't just theory, it happened with my bike. I now use 0E whenever I can find it.

Dan
    I don't want a pickle, etc.

Oops, forgot to say that when you are draining the gas you should have the petcock on reserve.

Dan
    I don't want a pickle, etc.

clutch drag eh? I thought I was having some clutch slip sometimes.. maybe need to re adjust the cable a bit..

thanks for that..

about the gas sucking water - interesting as the gas cap we have is hard to put back on,,

going to read up!

cheers

A gas cap that is hard to put on (or take off) is not necessarily one that will starve your carb. They have vents and should allow fuel removal even when hard to remove. A true vacuum situation is where you have very little air space in the tank (overly full) and no vent possible (the vacuum builds up after several minutes, (not a couple of miles). I'd say you've either got a slow fuel flow or an electrical problem that appears most often when you open the bike up or hit the right bump. But hey what do I know what you are doing within 2 miles of the gas station (but you should think about it). Good luck. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links