snatchy gas..
Close

Thread: snatchy gas..

well guys had some mixed success today..

they do say if it aint broke dont fix it,. and now after taking my carb apart it does appear that something that wasnt broke has been "fixed"

the good news is bypassing the sidestand switch seems like it's working ( so far! ) ( was having random cut outs whilst riding - made my wife understandably nervous in traffic)

but now if give a healthy blast of throttle.. ie use throttle more like an on off switch than smooth.. ( ok I might not be the kindest rider )

the bike is missing for a fraction of a second,,

ie its fuel starved! then it catches.. almost seems like something is stuck in there.

as it's been about 20 years since I last did this. I probably wouldn't have chosen to open the vacuum chamber at the top of the carb - but the float chamber was so stubborn in coming apart I wondered if there was any other screws..

I discovered not and had to pry the float cover off..

seems my service manual from 1987 does have a different carb!

I took the carb off again.. ( twice in one day!!! ) couldnt see any dirt.. ( hmmm didnt take the needle out? was that my mistake? )

any hints?

thanks!
    2001 TW200 - supertrapp stubby exhaust

1996 CRM 250 - 2 smoker - FMF exhaust

1998 Honda CB600 Hornet - ( a.k.a Honda 599 ) - micron , ohlins rear - CB600F3 front forks..

yes well now I read some of the pinned notes..

actually I'm relieved to see that I did remember some stuff. like marking the throttle cable and return... so not everything went wrong that could have - all tho surely something has gone wrong!!

I did wonder if it could be due to not replacing the jubilee clips on the manifold/ entrance to cyclinder head???. was quite tough mounting the carb!!

if that was leaking under pressure could give some weirdness ???

to be honest kicking my self for not trying the sidestand bypass operation sooner!

basically I just opened the carb and had a look inside.. didnt mean to open the top and wasnt expecting the jack in a box!

the float wouldnt have an immediate effect- as it would take time to burn off the fuel already in there?

the butterfly seems to work ok, since the bike runs ok ish - apart from jabs of gas = ie consistent seems ok,.

then would it be something to do with the needle that moves up and down? cant see what makes it move - so its easily blocked somehow? the diaphragm looked in reasonable shape, no holes or anything..

the interior looked a bit dirty - few stains here and there stuck to the metal...

doh! feeling like a dummy - but also feel that I did learn something today!

1998 Honda CB600 Hornet - ( a.k.a Honda 599 ) - micron , ohlins rear - CB600F3 front forks..

Good thing you learned something because your ramblings left me confused as hell. Have you tried Rita ... oh, look, a kitty!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Open the idle mixture screw 2 1/2 turns and all your problems will be over.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

thanks for your comment Tony,

open means anti clockwise I presume?

qwerty - no idea what your talking about - enjoyed your carb tutorial however. that was informative - guess you make a better mechanic than a comedian!

and thanks again Tony - job's a good 'un - that seems to have fixed it!!! I just got a hero medal from the missus - so thanks!

and if somebody is sensibly reading up before doing thing this - you can access this screw without removing the carb or even the float chamber cover...

the lazy man's guide in the pinned section is good!!!! great work guys - could have saved an hour or so if I had read this first haha!

I am glad I could be of help and you are welcome.

Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by dubstep View Post
    qwerty - no idea what your talking about - enjoyed your carb tutorial however. that was informative - guess you make a better mechanic than a comedian!

Oh, I thought that was funny as hell!

Glad you are enjoying your work and riding and good on you for working through this problem!!

Bag
    "The TW may be slow, but the Earth is patient" - MK

"If I'm wrong, and it turns out that you hate it, I'll send you all my Barry Manilow albums." LB

Hidden Content

Sponosred Links