Carb Needle Shim Question
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Been having a hard time getting to an appropriate store that carries the tiny shims that are pictured in the carb jetting guide. I found some at a local hardware store, but the diameter (and height) of the shims are larger than the ones pictured. They are about the exact same diameter as the white plastic spacer (I'm assuming anything larger than that would be too big). Would they be OK to use, assuming that I get the spacing of .04" correct? Or would they block the flow of fuel? Thanks.

P.S. If anyone out there can spare 4-5 of the .010 shims, I could mail out a few stamps to cover postage/etc.

www.jetsrus.com has the shims you need. there is two different sizes listed, i went with the ones with the smaller inside demension. i used two shims at .020 thickness. combined with a #130 main jet and an aftermarket exhaust im very pleased.

Flat washer from the hardware store. Thin with a solid hit from a hammer if necessary.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

2.5 mm washers look good, im sure thickness varies by vendor. Hardware stores with a good nut n screw aisle should have some.

Quote Originally Posted by gfl View Post
    2.5 mm washers look good, im sure thickness varies by vendor. Hardware stores with a good nut n screw aisle should have some.

Yes, that's what I found at the local store, 2.5mm metal washers. They were the exact same diameter as the white plastic spacer on the needle. My original question was whether or not they would be ok to use, assuming I get the thickness of .04-.05" correct.

Quote Originally Posted by sfscooter View Post
    Yes, that's what I found at the local store, 2.5mm metal washers. They were the exact same diameter as the white plastic spacer on the needle. My original question was whether or not they would be ok to use, assuming I get the thickness of .04-.05" correct.

It should work. They may have a mic or calipers for you to borrow while in the store. Otherwise, find a tape measure or small ruler in one of aisles and measure ~2.5/64th's for 0.040". 0.050" may be a bit much.

If it doesn't work, the $0.20 was cheap carb education But if it's the same diameter as the spacer, it should work no problem.
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by pgilles View Post
    It should work. They may have a mic or calipers for you to borrow while in the store. Otherwise, find a tape measure or small ruler in one of aisles and measure ~2.5/64th's for 0.040". 0.050" may be a bit much.

If it doesn't work, the $0.20 was cheap carb education But if it's the same diameter as the spacer, it should work no problem.

Yeah, they were only about 17 cents each. Should have just purchased them. Looked like 2 would have done the trick, will pick them up tomorrow but I have to order a new gasket too so I will hold off putting everything back together until I order/receive the float bowl gasket.

One more question: I noticed that fuel was dripping out from the hose that comes out from the petcock even though I had it in the "off" position. So I basically have a leaky petcock. I read somewhere that rather than replacing the whole unit I could just buy 2 gaskets/o-rings to replace the worn ones. Can anyone confirm this?

Quote Originally Posted by sfscooter View Post
    Yeah, they were only about 17 cents each. Should have just purchased them. Looked like 2 would have done the trick, will pick them up tomorrow but I have to order a new gasket too so I will hold off putting everything back together until I order/receive the float bowl gasket.

One more question: I noticed that fuel was dripping out from the hose that comes out from the petcock even though I had it in the "off" position. So I basically have a leaky petcock. I read somewhere that rather than replacing the whole unit I could just buy 2 gaskets/o-rings to replace the worn ones. Can anyone confirm this?

IIRC, the entire petcock is about $11 to $17. I would get the whole thing and avoid the hassle of replacing the gaskets and orings.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    IIRC, the entire petcock is about $11 to $17. I would get the whole thing and avoid the hassle of replacing the gaskets and orings.

Yes, that's what I was thinking too. On the other hand, I'm fairly certain that the only part that I need to replace (gas is leaking through the rubber hose only) is the gasket that goes from the top of the petcock to the gas tank (part # 4X8-24512-00-00). It's $2.48 vs. $12.09 for the entire petcock. Since I need to remove the petcock, changing out the gasket is almost the same amount of work as swapping a new petcock in. My bike only has 600 miles on it, so I figure the rest of the parts on it are fine.

There are a boatload of compatible petcocks. I have a 1976 DT360 tank that uses the identical petcock as the TW- the only difference likely being the length of the main and reserve tubes. As other have said though, it is cheap enough to just rebuild the stocker.
    Custom 1998 TW200 Build Thread Hidden Content | 2003 TW200 | 2009 KLX351

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links