Can't find Golden Boy - Get a K270 instead?
Close

I was all set to purchase a Shinko SR244 "Golden Boy" as a replacement front tire (size 5.10-18). Problem is... no one seems to have these in stock. I went to Happy Trails (here in town) and they said they could get one. When I went back to see if they had it, apprentlyly they spoke before checking. They would have to order one from China!

So... I see the Kenda K270 hqas what would seem the identical tread pattern. It's about $20 more, but seems much more readily available. Should I just get this instead? I recall many here say they like that as a front tire. I do about 70% street riding and 30% dirt/sand/gravel logging roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Truelight View Post
    I was all set to purchase a Shinko SR244 "Golden Boy" as a replacement front tire (size 5.10-18). Problem is... no one seems to have these in stock. I went to Happy Trails (here in town) and they said they could get one. When I went back to see if they had it, apprentlyly they spoke before checking. They would have to order one from China!

So... I see the Kenda K270 hqas what would seem the identical tread pattern. It's about $20 more, but seems much more readily available. Should I just get this instead? I recall many here say they like that as a front tire. I do about 70% street riding and 30% dirt/sand/gravel logging roads.

IMHO, the K270 is an excellent tire. If you don't mind spending a little more, I'd say go for it. I have not tried the goldenboy, but it appears to be nearly identical.

A guy here at work put me onto Rocky Mt. ATV which had the Kenda K270, a Kenda heavy-duty tube, and a rim strip all in stock with quick shipping to Boise. Did the entire deal with shipping for under $100. Since the guy here at work also said he could mount and balance the tire, it seemed a no-brainer to me. My new tire oughta be here early next week. Woo hoo!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

i had kenda tires on my four wheeler "polaris xplorer 400 2 stroke" and i found that the compound they use is very easy to puncture. they also wear down fast. im not sure about the one you got but before you install it chechk the nobbies to see if there solid all the way to the end. the ones i had, had little squares notched into the nobbies which were supposed to increase traction but they just made the nobbies soft. please be careful IMHO they are not safe tires or reliable. just my opinion based on my experience.

I hope that bad experience may have been based on ATV use. I've seen plenty of forum members here writing they have and like the Kenda 270, (which is why I decided to go ahead with it.)

The K270 has a rep for being a bit on the soft and squirelly side, on 425 pound bikes on tires with 2/3 the load capacity of the TW's, loaded with 100 pounds of gear, ridden by obese dudes trying to drag the footpegs on twisty mountain roads. They work fine for normal people on a relatively lightweight dualsport with oversize tires.

Got my Kenda K270 mounted today and took the bike out for a little half-hour ride tonight. The first impression was that this tire is considerably heavier and thus creates a feeling of more "mass" on the front of the bike. Turning requires a bit more effort, though the bike feels stable enough in a turn. It's certainly a different feel than I got with my old Cheng Shin (OEM??) tires. I'm also now feeling what real knobbies ride like. The old Cheng Shins knobs were worn to about 1/4" if that. These Kendas must have 1" knobs or so. Of course, that's why I got 'em, for better off-road grip and I won't be able to report on that until after an off-road ride.

FWIW, today, just after the Kenda's were installed, I got an e-mail from Motorcycle Superstore that the Shinko SR244 Golden Boy 5.10-18 was back in stock. Figures. The Kenda seems to have almost the same tread pattern and I think I'm going to be happy with it, but the Golden Boy's are about $20 less. I'd say if you're shopping for a new front tire and do 50/50 road/trail either of these would be a good tire for you.

Pics and a full ride report when I get more miles on the Kenda.

I think your gonna really like the new tire compared to your old one. I'm gaining confidence in my 244 evertime I go out. Last week I went out for a 3 hour ride in the "local training area". Some of the two track roads have very loose sand/dirt in the tire tracks. In the past I would slow down a lot and try to avoid running through the sand and tried to find a spot with firmer road surface. With the 244, I now find I can ride through the loose stuff without the plowing or slipping my past tire had. Basically, a much better feel.

And don't forget, I have Monday off if you wanna go for a ride.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I could take Monday off to go for a ride. Wanna do the Pearl loop we discussed? You know the backroads better than I so perhaps you can map out a good trip. Based on our last adventure, I'm not thinking the extra fuel would be needed unless you come up with a longer route I guess. Let me know via private message.

Yes, the K270 rides and handles different than the TW32. Isn't that why you chose it? Just wait until you've hit the dirt. You won't care about any other differences.

Sponosred Links