front sprocket
Close

Thread: front sprocket

I recently changed the front sprocket on my 2007 TW200 and wanted to know if it's normal to have a small amount of play in the sprocket? The two sprocket retaining bolts are tight against the retaining clip but the sprocket moves a very small amount right to left.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Shayeb View Post
    I recently changed the front sprocket on my 2007 TW200 and wanted to know if it's normal to have a small amount of play in the sprocket? The two sprocket retaining bolts are tight against the retaining clip but the sprocket moves a very small amount right to left.

I'm not sure what the actual spec is on this, but I changed both of my sprockets today and I noticed the same thing. My bike only has 2500 miles on it, so I doubt that it is too far out of spec. Also, I tried moving the sprocket outside of it's run position on the output shaft splines and it felt the same all along the splined portion.

I changed mine and it was very tight to go on to the shaft and tighted up tight with the bolts. I loctighted the bolts with medium strength locktite. 500 miles on the 2006 TW.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

It is normal for this type of sprocket fitment to be lose and a bit wobbly.

It doesn't hurt the shaft splines because they are much harder than the sprocket.

Always use non permanent thread lock and consider using new bolts because they are tiny on the TW and won't like being re-torqued dozens of times.
    We're in 'Bat Country' now....

Mine wiggles too. As SlyFox suggested, buy new bolts. M5x10mm. And don't over torque them like I did and ruin a perfectly good sprocket.

Custom 1998 TW200 Build Thread Hidden Content | 2003 TW200 | 2009 KLX351

Quote Originally Posted by sorethumb View Post
    Mine wiggles too. As SlyFox suggested, buy new bolts. M5x10mm. And don't over torque them like I did and ruin a perfectly good sprocket.

Thanks for the replies. My 2007 TW 200 only had 395 miles on it when I recently bought it. Thanks to this forum I re-geared it much taller than most on this forum. I now have a 16/47 combination that's great for my paved road riding. I wanted to be able to cruise comfortably around 50-55 mph. I used the gear calculator to arrive at my present gearing. Street tires are next. This bike is simple to work on and so far I'm enjoying it.

After changing to 16/47 tooth sprockets I got 82.6 miles per gallon at 50-55 mph. Very happy with the gearing change. Help from this forum provided the information to arrive at this gearing. I bought my 15/47 sprockets and o-ring chain at Lytle Racing Group. They were great to deal with. After one week I contacted Lytle again but they didn't have a 16t front sprocket. I found a 16t at PBI which is an American made sprocket. Highly recommend both Lytle and PBI! I'm now looking at tires, probably will go with the Shinko SR428 since I'll ride 99% of the time on paved roads.

That sprocket isn't ruined. Simply start drilling the bolts from the other side. Odds are the heat and vibration will spin those shanks right out. If not, an EasyOut will spin the drilled shanks no problem.

I see BLUE Loc-tite in there...should've been GREEN!
    2008 TW200
    Southwest corner of BC Canada

YouTube channel: Hidden Content

My front sprocket has a little play also. I just about took the side case of before I seen this thread.

Sponosred Links