Another Front Drum Brake Question
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I searched and read all the threads I could find.

I have a brand new cable and brand new pads on my front drum brake. I just got it back from the shop today ( they put new rear tire tube on as well as did the front brake).

It has to be fully adjusted tight to get any kind of braking power and even then, it's iffy.

I put bike on my big Coca-Cola plastic crate/ bike stand and I can do the spin and listen thing and cant get them to go shhh-shhh-shhh sound. Does it sound like they mucked up ? or should I pop the drum off and check the inner drum surface?

I took off my brake cam arm (the arm that the brake cable goes to and is connected to the outer drum via a splined shaft) and rotated it a couple notches forward. Then I adjusted my cable. It has worked for me.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

New cables will stretch initially, work for zillions of miles then start stretching again when near death.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I moved the arm a bit and it satisfactorily stops now. I did the QWERTY shh-shhh-shhh thing and after riding around the back neighborhood culdesacs that have no houses built yet I brought it back and checked again. Very slight "sh"

YAY for the forums, they came back through again !!

Thanks fellas !

i had to move the arm also, good to know others did. i didn't say anything because i bought Tusk brake shoes for 9.99
    11 ninja 1000

Oh, this is the first riding I've done on my TDub in a while and even though it was just around the culdesacs and in the open field where there would be houses if any houses were built I keep asking myself if I should sell my Shadow..

Quote Originally Posted by GlassAnkles View Post
    i had to move the arm also, good to know others did. i didn't say anything because i bought Tusk brake shoes for 9.99

Mine came from ebay. Tusk also and cheaper than stadium yamaha.

I had to realign my rear brake lever. Original shoes and still have half the lining to go. I don't use the rear brake very much. Danged rear brake will kill you. It lock up, cause a slide, and dump you in a heartbeat.

Single leading shoe brakes don't have a lot of material contacting the drum til they get bedded in as well. Only one end of the shoes expand when the brake is applied. So with new cables and new shoes you could be somewhat brakeless for quite a few miles.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quite a few meaning 100, 250 or more? It felt good yesterday, after the arm adjustment. Another 30 minutes I could have gotten it to where the lever adjustment was more than halfway out (it's just a tad over half way) and I could of moved the arm more, but it's such a pain in the rear to get that arm back on the splined shaft.

Oh, I hit 6k on the odometer too!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links