painfull lesson in buying used
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Well im in it to win it now. With My TW in the shed in various peices ive come across some very real problems with buying a used cycle. Firstly there was the problem that started it all the cobbled pulsar coil that busted while i was riding , it was not oem and only measured 125ohms but it was working fine until it gave out. Next was issues with wiring weakness i found on dissassembly and repaired .Then on to a bad exaust valve and worn out piston that my machine shop found while doing a top end rebuild. Another problem i found caused by an assinine PO was a missassembled kicker that led to its demise.So what i thaught a good deal for $500 is now nearly $1000 worth of aggrivation and parts. im just hoping now that the running issues i had before tear down were caused by the tired top end and not a CDI or stator, as i have read that the CDI for this 89 black and red is not an easy part to come by these days. To top it off im having a difficult time trying to find any moto salvage yards here in upstate ny so i have to buy new parts or e-bay it. Well buyer beware next time im taking it to a mechanic before i buy it . anyone else have any horror stories about buying a used TW ?
    --If at first you don't succeed try, try again. If you still don't succeed BEAT IT WITH A HAMMER!--

Hey I am in Upstate NY and had a pretty piss-poor experience buying a used TW recently as well... Still in pieces and not running, in fact. Maybe we should start a club

Where abouts are you located? That would make three of us with TWs in NNY, but only one known working
    ITCB

Quote Originally Posted by operose View Post
    Hey I am in Upstate NY and had a pretty piss-poor experience buying a used TW recently as well... Still in pieces and not running, in fact. Maybe we should start a club

Where abouts are you located? That would make three of us with TWs in NNY, but only one known working

im just north of rome
    --If at first you don't succeed try, try again. If you still don't succeed BEAT IT WITH A HAMMER!--

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

oh, central new york, then

We are a couple hours north of Watertown
    ITCB

oh, central new york, then

We are a couple hours north of Watertown
    are you in canada ? thats way up there must be up around govenour ? about 3 hours from me at any rate nice to know that im not the only one in ny with a tw woe as most of the yami dealers around here dont even know what a tw is and one in lowville told me they didnt make em anymore.

ja, up north around canada eh

In all fairness to the guy I bought my TW from, the CDI was fine when I got it. The fork seals were blown, it needed an oil change something fierce, the chain was worn out, the plastics busted, had obviously been jumped by a fat man and tipped over quite at least a couple of times at decent speed. Mirrors were missing, handlebars were cracked/bent/broken, so on and so on.

It was an impulse buy and I can only blame myself!
    ITCB

Your guys stories reminded me of a time I traded and old Jeep for a Triumph TR6 motorcycle. As we were driving away each of us had a funny grin on our face as though we had gotten the better part of the deal. A few months later, our paths crossed again and I asked the guy who he thought ended up getting the better deal. He said he thought I did, and I agreed. The truth was that both vehicles were total POS. It was nice that we were still able to laugh about it with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by biglefti View Post
    Your guys stories reminded me of a time I traded and old Jeep for a Triumph TR6 motorcycle. As we were driving away each of us had a funny grin on our face as though we had gotten the better part of the deal. A few months later, our paths crossed again and I asked the guy who he thought ended up getting the better deal. He said he thought I did, and I agreed. The truth was that both vehicles were total POS. It was nice that we were still able to laugh about it with each other.
    yea i got the tw from a friend so im trying not to be bitter about this whole thing as i was on the way to his house when it broke down on me

obviously been jumped by a fat man

haaaa, i needed that laugh today. thanks
    11 ninja 1000

If I ever buy a broken used TDub, we can all meet and walk the Hill behind Snow Ridge. Till then, Happy Grumbling.......
    Hidden Content

2007 T'dub

Cyclerack/Dual Northern Tool Boxes/AVG Miglia Helmet/Infamous Tubes/Fanny Pack/ATV Tank bag

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links