Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 91

Here's my TW, ain't she a beaut. or brute, your choice. As you may be able to see she's been laid over pretty hard a few times and now that it's my bike, I'm looking to get it runnin and looking right. Here's the list as I see it now:

Bad-

Oil Leaks- seems like from gasket between crank case and head.

Runs Rough- sputters and wheezes- maybe timing chain is a little stretched out or carb is gummed up

Cosmetic Damage- mainly the headlight/speedometer is ripped off, also a small dent on tank and some pieces missing

Transmission- Clutch may be slipping a little bit

Brakes- squishy

Good-

Ride-able and Tons of fun

Rubber is decent

Seat is solid

Barely any Rust!!!

That's the quick rundown of my TW. I am attempting to ride it until winter then fix it up in the snowy months when I will be riding less. The biggest challenges I see coming are finding the right parts within my budget and seeing what the inside of the bike are like (Cylinder condition, transmission condition, etc.) Any Tips or Tricks would be much appreciated

Gotta love a nice "sweat equity special".

Bestest paint scheme of all the Barbie years, too.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Yea, It's gonna be alot of work, especially for my first bike, but hopefully I won't mess it up too bad. I've seen many paint schemes but I think if I do end up repainting it the teal will have to stay.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Tip#1 Turn you petcock to off... That will eliminate some of your "drippings" while it's not being ridden.

AAhhhhh.....she is a classic!
    2009 TW200, Jimbo shield, 47&55T rear with DID chain, Maxxis Ceros Rear, Kendra 270 front, extended swing arm, 1"Risers, Rear rack, Raised front fender, XOG GPS.

My 91 was purple when I bought it. After looking at it for a couple of weeks I decided to go the OD green route. Starting to see more and more OD paint jobs.

If you go shopping for replacement parts be careful of places like EBay. Some of those people think their parts are gold. Often your local dealer will be the best source of parts. I've found that the later model parts are cheaper than the older models even though they interchange.

Looks like there is enough missing that you've got a good start on a hollow mod.

Dan
    I don't want a pickle, etc.

Hmm.. Maybe a aftermarket round headlight is in your future....

Examples

http://tw200.forumotion.com/t68-roun...ght-conversion

http://tw200forum.co...ght-conversion/

Well, I fixed the leak...

Eight Hours and a some blood sweat and tears later, the heart is out of the beast. It didn't fight much and with some help everything came apart well, if only it would go together that easily haha. Surprisingly the sprockets are still in good shape and the frame is virtually rustless. Some worrisome things are that there is a little bit of rust in the gas tank, the spark plug is looser than it should be, a hole in the left crank case is stripped out, and most importantly the oil filter is filled with either some gravel or metal shavings. Never a good sign.

The next step is to clean everything very well, I wish they sold carb cleaner in gallon jugs. Then I'm planning on taking the cylinder open to get a better sign about what I am actually dealing with.

Rich, The round headlight looks great on the bike, and Dan the OD would look mean, and sorry to be a noob, but what is a hollow mod?

Thanks for the guidance,

May the force be with you

CJ

Check your clutch. I had a motor that had been sitting for quite some time and had "gravel" in it. I gave it to Ronnydog for parts and when he tore it down the "gravel" turned out to be clutch material which had either dissolved or became unbonded from the plates. It then circulated through the motor and clogged the cam oil passages.

I'm guessing here, but the only explanation I've come up with is that the solvent action of the old crank case oil caused the lining material to either break down or become unbonded from the plates and when I ran it for awhile all the gack broke loose.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Chief, a hollow mod is what they call a bike that has all the plastics and unneeded parts removed. The results make the frame seem hollow. Some look pretty cool, others kind of cartoonish. here's one I like.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...g?t=1260940631

Dan
    I don't want a pickle, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links