Riding @ 55mph fine....then just died. Now what?
Close

Ok, so my TW has had an issue since I bought it. I thought it was due to the split intake manifold, but after I replaced it as well as a different carb it still didn't help. The bike acts like its stuttering at higher throttle positions, like anywhere from 35-60mph depending on the day. Its like a miss, but its also like its running out of fuel. I'm not sure, but I think it has to do with what happened today.

I was riding home from work and about 4 miles into the trip on the highway the bike just flat died. I mean, it was like I shut of the ignition switch. I thought it ran out of fuel at first but there was no sputtering or anything.....just flat died. I had my wife come pick me up and the went back and got the bike with my car trailer. It cranks fine and I can smell fuel when I open the throttle. I would guess that it is the ignition system, but I'm hoping that someone on here might be able to help me narrow down the possible culprit and possible suggest some ways to test things. I'm wondering if that "miss" at higher RPM's that I've experienced since I got the bike was actually the CDI going out. Some days/rides it was worse than others and some times it seemed like it would run great. It idled perfect and sounded fine at idle.

Any suggestions would be appreciated greatly. I'm sure there are threads regarding this on the old forum but I can't seem to get the search option to work. If you can link a thread from the old forum that I should look at that would work too. Thanks.

One possibility is that you are running the carb dry when at mid or high throttle levels. If you have a bad fuel filter, partially occluded screen on the petcock, or mis adjusted carb, you may be getting some gas but not enough to keep up "at speed". I'd check fuel supply all the way from tank to intake manifold as one possile cause.
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Peruano, thanks for the advice. I don't think it is fuel, however, because it flat freakin' died while I was cruisin' down the road at 55mph. I've ran out of fuel several times and switched to reserve....the bike immediately fires back up and continues running. This wasn't like that at all. No matter what I do it won't run. Still cranks over and sounds fine, but there ain't no running. It has got to be spark (99.9% sure) but I'm not sure what to check or how to check it. I'm hoping someone has an idea where to start and how to check what needs checkin'. Thanks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Adavis, I've got the exact same issue. My TW is a 2006 and I am currently in the middle of trying to figure it all out myself. I think its a carb issue as well. I've ordered a jet kit and it should be here soon, maybe that will narrow the field down for both of us.

Have you checked for a fouled plug? Also a simple way to check for spark is to remove the plug and if it's not fouled insert it back into the cap and lay it on the cylinder. Crank the bike over and see if it's sparking.Or better yet use a new plug because some times they go bad.

Quote Originally Posted by adavis View Post
    Peruano, thanks for the advice. I don't think it is fuel, however, because it flat freakin' died while I was cruisin' down the road at 55mph. I've ran out of fuel several times and switched to reserve....the bike immediately fires back up and continues running. This wasn't like that at all. No matter what I do it won't run. Still cranks over and sounds fine, but there ain't no running. It has got to be spark (99.9% sure) but I'm not sure what to check or how to check it. I'm hoping someone has an idea where to start and how to check what needs checkin'. Thanks.

I have a 1990 with about 12,000 miles on it. I have the same problem sometimes I will be going about 40-50 mph and pull in the clutch and the bike will die. I think my problem is the coasting en-richer diaphram and the little kit that keeps the push rod aligned. the kit cost me about 25 bucks but I only used the diaphram. Another thing I would check is the coil connections under the tank!!!!!! I lost spark this way last year. Also check compression if it is real low pull your valve covers and make sure the valves are closed at TDC. I lost compression on my 1990 last year after 2 hours in 90 degree rush hour. The funny thing is I tossed the bike in the garage for the winter and when a friend was helping me take off the cam chain cover he hit the screws with an impact thing to get them loose, well the mild impact freed up the rings or the stuck valve!! I have put over 2,500 miles on the poor tired dog this year!!! Hope some of this helps!!!!!!!!!!111

Ok, so I've got to apologize to peruano. I rolled the bike into the garage tonight after my wife and daughter went to bed. I pulled the plug to check spark. The plug looks perfect....nice and mouse-brown. I do have spark. Not sure how bright it is supposed to be but I do have it. I have a new fuel filter on the bike and it is clean, but there wasn't much fuel in it. I played around with the petcock on the tank and got a little fuel to run into the carb. It took a minute and then fired. It will idle, but I can't really rev it up. I now believe that it must be the screen on the petcock that is blocking fuel. I guess that .1% was the problem.

I'm still blown away by how the bike acted. Like I said earlier, I've ran out of fuel several times and the bike will kinda sputter and then die after a few seconds. If you switch to reserve, the bike will begin running again in a second or two (before you've even coasted to a stop). In this situation, I was riding down the highway in 5th gear, 2/3 throttle and out of the blue it was like I hit the kill switch. No sputtering, period. I switched to reserve while still coasting and it never fired. Came to a stop and tried to start it several times and it wouldn't do anything. I can't believe that a blockage in the petcock would cut fuel off so immediately and completely. I just put on a completely rebuilt carb too, so I shouldn't have a problem there either.

Anyway, I'm going to pull the tank and clean the petcock. I have some left over gas tank sealer so maybe I'll seal the tank just to make sure. I'll post again when I have more to share. Thanks to everyone for all the help.

Check the wire harness. I once had a Harley do the same thing.After much money spent and lots of cussing it turned out to be a small bare spot on the harness.

Sponosred Links