Help, Spokes, Help!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    OK, I wanted new front & rear spokes for '87 TW. Took pics of the old ones. Ordered new ones & put the back ones in, no problem. Now the problem. The front spokes are 2 different lengths with 3 different hooks. I have tries several ways, using my pics but they do not seem to work right. Does anyone have any suggestions or do I have to buy another '87 just to look at the spokes?

Thanx Much!

Retro

Sounds as if you have the spokes for a disc brake wheel. All the hook ends on disc wheels face the outside of the wheel, while on drum wheels they alternate, inward and outward facing.

Basically drum brake spokes are bent at a 90 degree angle and disc spokes are on the order of 45 degrees.

I'll be stripping a front wheel next week. If you can't figure it out or can't get the right spokes and can afford to wait, I'll bundle them up and you can use what you need and ship the rest back.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by retro View Post
    do I have to buy another '87 just to look at the spokes?

Thanx Much!

Retro

Ha! Nice try retro, if you wanna buy another bike, you don't have to come up with weak excuses, just buy it!!

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    I'll be stripping a front wheel next week. If you can't figure it out or can't get the right spokes and can afford to wait, I'll bundle them up and you can use what you need and ship the rest back.

Good On you LB, your a good Man.

Bag
    "The TW may be slow, but the Earth is patient" - MK

"If I'm wrong, and it turns out that you hate it, I'll send you all my Barry Manilow albums." LB

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Sounds as if you have the spokes for a disc brake wheel. All the hook ends on disc wheels face the outside of the wheel, while on drum wheels they alternate, inward and outward facing.

Basically drum brake spokes are bent at a 90 degree angle and disc spokes are on the order of 45 degrees.

Thanx Much LB,

I have this bike down into parts. Re-painted everything. Am going to brat it. I need to get the wheels on to put the motor back on. If I can't figure thes spokes out, I may just put plywood inside of the rim for spokes. That would look good if I paint it.

Thanx Much!

Retro

Found my old spokes & compared to the new ones. Everything is the same. I am just putting in wrong I guess. I will keep trying.

Retro

Hi Retro,

I have a front wheel with the drum brake. Would it help you to have some pictures of an intact wheel/hub/brake drum with spokes? If so, let me know what views would be the most helpful and I can take some pictures for you.

Brian

Hello Brian,

I am putting my long spokes on the big hub. Can you measure one of your spokes on the big side of the hub? Am I putting the right spokes on the right side of the hub?

Thanx Much!

Retro

I will check after I get home this evening and let you know.

Brian

Hi Retro,

It looks like the long spokes (approximately 8") are laced into the smaller wheel hub and the shorter spokes (approximately 7.5") are laced into the larger brake drum. See picture below:

I hope this is helpful.

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links