Hesitation with acceleration
Close

I had the opportunity to purchase a very clean used TW with less than 500 miles on it. obviously has been in storage for a number of years. It starts right up and idles smooth. However on acceleration it hesitates and sputters. I'm thinking probably a carb issue but any ideas would be appreciated. Unfortunately I do not have the history of how it was stored. Gas tank drained etc. I did try a tank of Seafoam to no avail. and verified the the Pilot Jet was turned out 2 to 2 1/2 turns.

What year?

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
    I had the opportunity to purchase a very clean used TW with less than 500 miles on it. obviously has been in storage for a number of years. It starts right up and idles smooth. However on acceleration it hesitates and sputters. I'm thinking probably a carb issue but any ideas would be appreciated. Unfortunately I do not have the history of how it was stored. Gas tank drained etc. I did try a tank of Seafoam to no avail. and verified the the Pilot Jet was turned out 2 to 2 1/2 turns.
    flush out fuel tank, take carb off and clean out. If ur not sure how to then have motorcycle shop do it. Really pretty easy, just take ur time, can of carb spray, compressed air and wear eye protection so u don't get carb spray in ur eyes....ouch! and don't lose any parts! Might want to put a little in-line filter on fuel line to carb. I still need to do that to mine.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    What year?

Slides hang up, diaghragms dry out and crack, etc. Take importech's advice and go through the carb.

I heart my old school carbs.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Print off the parts diagram for your carb so you'll have some idea where the little tiny bits are supposed to fall from as you take it apart. Work over a cake pan with several paper towels in the bottom to prevent those little surprises that fall out from bouncing into a black hole.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Print off the parts diagram for your carb so you'll have some idea where the little tiny bits are supposed to fall from as you take it apart. Work over a cake pan with several paper towels in the bottom to prevent those little surprises that fall out from bouncing into a black hole.
    i gotta say thats the best advise on carb cleaning i have ever heard!
    --If at first you don't succeed try, try again. If you still don't succeed BEAT IT WITH A HAMMER!--

Voice of experience.

Sponosred Links