Electrical Issues - Dimming Lights
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    What is in black was a personal conversation between me and Operose. Red is what I did tonight while I had someone to hold flashlight.

I can tell you this much. My battery is dead. I haven't charged it though.

I've added led turnsignals and brake lights. Turn signal switch broke a few days ago.
    <=- Clipped Wires this evening since they aren't working. Ends are covered.

I've also added a moose racing head light with separate high and low beams.

The problem has happened on and off since I bought the bike. I know I have a loose connection somewhere in the harness as I was able to jiggle the wires sometimes when it wouldn't start with the button. (wires behind headlight) <=-- Dead battery = No CLICKY when button pushed. While idling, I can push button and starter spins... (I know, bad and shouldn't do it)

I haven't rode enough in darkness to have noticed it until recently. But after the starter button/dead battery issue I would notice it. I've refilled the battery and plan on charging it soon to see if this fixes it. I have been working in the backyard. Recently noticed after I had the rear tire replaced when I parked it that the headlight was dim.

I can kickstart no problems. 2 or 3 kicks. Idle it's bright any throttle dims. Choke out it dims. Choke in after warm it flickers from what is what I think it should be brightness wise to dim.

Going to cut and take off turn signals to isolate those as the problem. There is a blue wire under seat that was spliced by previous owner. I'm going to cut out the butt connector and solder that. Fixed ..

Then I'm going to trace the big red wire in vicinity of headlight as the previous owner said it was cause of starter not working at times. Big red 3 wire connector... Cleaned the prongs of what was visible - Wiggled while idling and no difference.

Also going to hopefully find out test locations for the rectifier or whatever(don't know names of those parts or what output should be). No clue here.... Can kinda read schematics, but pictures of what I should be doing would be nice.

Anyone have any ideas ?? I'm at my wits end on this and don't know what else I can do besides ignore it as I don't ride it as often as Shadow nor do I ride much at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    What is in black was a personal conversation between me and Operose. Red is what I did tonight while I had someone to hold flashlight.

I can tell you this much. My battery is dead. I haven't charged it though.

I've added led turnsignals and brake lights. Turn signal switch broke a few days ago.
    <=- Clipped Wires this evening since they aren't working. Ends are covered.

I've also added a moose racing head light with separate high and low beams.

The problem has happened on and off since I bought the bike. I know I have a loose connection somewhere in the harness as I was able to jiggle the wires sometimes when it wouldn't start with the button. (wires behind headlight) <=-- Dead battery = No CLICKY when button pushed. While idling, I can push button and starter spins... (I know, bad and shouldn't do it)

I haven't rode enough in darkness to have noticed it until recently. But after the starter button/dead battery issue I would notice it. I've refilled the battery and plan on charging it soon to see if this fixes it. I have been working in the backyard. Recently noticed after I had the rear tire replaced when I parked it that the headlight was dim.

I can kickstart no problems. 2 or 3 kicks. Idle it's bright any throttle dims. Choke out it dims. Choke in after warm it flickers from what is what I think it should be brightness wise to dim.

Going to cut and take off turn signals to isolate those as the problem. There is a blue wire under seat that was spliced by previous owner. I'm going to cut out the butt connector and solder that. Fixed ..

Then I'm going to trace the big red wire in vicinity of headlight as the previous owner said it was cause of starter not working at times. Big red 3 wire connector... Cleaned the prongs of what was visible - Wiggled while idling and no difference.

Also going to hopefully find out test locations for the rectifier or whatever(don't know names of those parts or what output should be). No clue here.... Can kinda read schematics, but pictures of what I should be doing would be nice.

Anyone have any ideas ?? I'm at my wits end on this and don't know what else I can do besides ignore it as I don't ride it as often as Shadow nor do I ride much at night.

Update..... I have This Headlight and just realized it is using a 55w Bulb low and High. Only one lights when selected. Could this be the issue ?? ?!!!! ????

Your battery is has a shorted cell and the headlight bulb wattage is too high.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Well, tomorrow when the sun comes up, I will pull the bulbs and see if I can find lower wattage ones. Working on either replacing/recharging the battery. Going to try to charge first (obviously), I've topped the water off this evening (had my little helper out there for a few minutes holding flashlight again. If not, I don't mind kicking since it's 2 most of the time to get it started.

Thanks Lizrd

You mentioned the rectifier and I suppose you are like me, got to fix it and need a forum. Don't want to replace stuff until you are reasonably sure its toast. Look at the "How to diagnose a rectifier" that I was guided thru on the next page back, and then, in the end (2nd page) the very simple

test that I thought I was asking, day one. The Yamaha Shop Manual says "Replace" too easy for me, you are in better hands here.

Greybeard

Quote Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post
    You mentioned the rectifier and I suppose you are like me, got to fix it and need a forum. Don't want to replace stuff until you are reasonably sure its toast. Look at the "How to diagnose a rectifier" that I was guided thru on the next page back, and then, in the end (2nd page) the very simple

test that I thought I was asking, day one. The Yamaha Shop Manual says "Replace" too easy for me, you are in better hands here.

Greybeard

All of that post was GREEK to me... Other than, replaced rectifier and it works now.

My battery is also dead as can be, and my headlight wattage is too high. Same problem and probably same cause
    ITCB

Remember that the '88-'01 system not only has less output than the later system, it produces most of it in the upper rpm range. If you run loads at the ragged edge of output, odds are that the only time your battery gets topped off is during top speed runs, if at all. This is very hard on regulators and batteries.

The later system is 3 phase and not only has more total output, it also has more output across the rpm range. It's far less subject to the above, but if you push the limits the same stuff will occur.

If you haven't fried your regulator yet, lose the 55, get the battery checked out and get all the loads minimized with LED's and such BEFORE increasing the wattage.

Greybeard has a thread on checking the regulator.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Going to pull headlights shortly and see if i can find new lower wattage ones..

Battery is toast. put on my smart charger and shows as bad cell(s).. Any ideas on a new, low cost one maybe from walmart of autozone type place.

You'll have a heckuva time finding a 35 at an auto parts store.

Is the existing halogen a 3 blade, hi-lo bulb with one of the terminals unused, or a dedicated hi-only element with 2 blades?

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links