HELP!!!!!! BIKE WON'T START TRYED ALOT PLEASE READ
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Sunday 2/oct) so far well the story goes was riding home from work luckerly cut out and ran out of petrol not far from a petrol station filled it up and rode all the way to wychbold from redditch fine left it at wychbold for 5mins got back on started fine rode for 3-5mins and suddenly it just cut out :>( had a mate look at it who does mechanics he:

Checked for spark - seemed good

Cleaned Carbs

my battery is dead so jumped of neighbours car

check air filter - this looked a bit melted

replaced all checked fuel was getting from tank to carb, all good

But still nothing -

i will buy a new spark plug today in case its weak

and possibly a compression tester any ideas ??

next day (tuesday 3/oct/2011)

i have today done all this with help from two mechanically minded friends

CLEANED CARB TWICE WITH CARB CLEANER,

NEW SPARK PLUG,

CHANGED FUEL,

USED QUICK START AEROSOL,

DIPED A LITTLE PETROL ON SPARK PLUG,

TRYED TO BUMP START from neighbours car and by taking it up a steep hill and bump starting it but still no joy!

all i can think of is either the head gasket (will have a compression tester on thursday to check this) or coil but i am getting a spark so unsure of the latter any other info or ideas would be greatly appreciated????

NO NEED TO SHOUT. WE'RE HERE TO HELP.

Does it fire at all when you crank?
    Regards...Wes
    In the Stable: 73 Honda CT90,81 Honda CT110,81 Honda CT70,04 Yamaha TW200,07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

You can put some oil through the spark plug hole and if it fires, it's low compression. Is the carb boot cracked causing a lean condition and taking out your top end?

Did you try starting it with the choke? If the pilot jet is plugged it may only run off of the choke.

Sounds like your timing may be off? If your buddies have a timing light it could be easily diagnosed. I can't explain why it ran then didn't. If you have spark then your safety switches are working, but those are still something to look into. But considering your intake was a bit melted, it could have backfired from bad timing.

What year TW? How many miles? Putting your hand over the exhaust, can you feel air being pumped out?
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by vuldub View Post
    NO NEED TO SHOUT. WE'RE HERE TO HELP.

Does it fire at all when you crank?

sorry bout caps dude lol sometimes i hit the caps key and think well i have wrote this much cant be doing all that typing again :>p

all i get is a bit of poping and back firing doesnt fire up??

Quote Originally Posted by pmtg View Post
    You can put some oil through the spark plug hole and if it fires, it's low compression. Is the carb boot cracked causing a lean condition and taking out your top end?

Did you try starting it with the choke? If the pilot jet is plugged it may only run off of the choke.

Sounds like your timing may be off? If your buddies have a timing light it could be easily diagnosed. I can't explain why it ran then didn't. If you have spark then your safety switches are working, but those are still something to look into. But considering your intake was a bit melted, it could have backfired from bad timing.

What year TW? How many miles? Putting your hand over the exhaust, can you feel air being pumped out?

will try the oil in the morning , have tryed with choke still no joy , 2004 TW 15k on clock, there is air comming out of exhaust??

If it is popping and backfiring, then it is firing. Meaning there is a spark. When you say you clean the carb twice, did your clean the jets?

Since it's a sudden failure, check the timing and the valve clearance. Maybe one of the valve adjustment screws came loose.
    Regards...Wes
    In the Stable: 73 Honda CT90,81 Honda CT110,81 Honda CT70,04 Yamaha TW200,07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

A weak or bad spark could be the CDI. Also, from what I've been told jump starting a MC from a car is generally a bad idea. Another MC would be better. Good luck!

Kevin
    '04 TW - Ricochet skid plate, IMS pegs, Odyssey battery, Seat Concepts seat, wide front tire. Geared low N' Slow Hidden Content

Honda Grom
    KTM 990 Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Kev250R View Post
    A weak or bad spark could be the CDI. Also, from what I've been told jump starting a MC from a car is generally a bad idea. Another MC would be better. Good luck!

Kevin

To jump a bike from a running car is not a good idea. Most auto alternators are pumping a bit more amperage than the bikes battery and/or electrical system is designed for.

Jumping from a car with the engine off is not a problem. The bike will pull
    just what power it needs from the battery.
    Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

Bad advice. A fully charged car battery and automotive jumper cables can boil a motorcycle battery in seconds, causing a release of highly flammable hydrogen gas. One spark and the battery explodes.

Make a set of motorcycle jumper cables out of 12-gauge primary wire and alligator clips. The wire won't carry enough juice to cause problems with a motorcycle battery, won't matter if the car engine is on or off. Much safer than using automotive jumper cables.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Bad advice. A fully charged car battery and automotive jumper cables can boil a motorcycle battery in seconds, causing a release of highly flammable hydrogen gas. One spark and the battery explodes.

Make a set of motorcycle jumper cables out of 12-gauge primary wire and alligator clips. The wire won't carry enough juice to cause problems with a motorcycle battery, won't matter if the car engine is on or off. Much safer than using automotive jumper cables.

Actually, 12 awg wire is generally rated for 20 amps, but will carry 50 or more amps for a short time (long enough to cause issues). Still, this is a better set-up as those huge terminal clamps on the car jumpers are really hard to hook up to those itty bitty motorcycle battery posts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links