Top end oil failiure ?????
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    What is the most common reason for top end oil failure? Eng was full of oil, oil filter looks good, eng went probly 20 miles after oil change before coming to screeching halt! Jake

Wrong oil filter. Yamaha has been known to put the wrong oil filter in the correct part number's box.
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

It's hard to see, but the filter on the left has 4 slots which have 4 little holes behind them. If you don't have the holes, it's the wrong filter.

Here are the 4 holes you should see:

Sold bike.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

nope has the right filter 4 slots and 4 holes Jake

+1 on the bogus filters out there.

Any squealing or other noises/symptoms before the bike died?

Was the oil bleed screw loosened on the top end with the motor running after the oil change to make sure the oil was getting up there?

If no oil comes out with the motor running & that screw almost removed disaster is imminent

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    +1 on the bogus filters out there.

Any squealing or other noises/symptoms before the bike died?

My grand son was riding it and he said it made a bad sweeking sound

Was the oil bleed screw loosened on the top end with the motor running after the oil change to make sure the oil was getting up there?

If no oil comes out with the motor running & that screw almost removed disaster is imminent

I seem to remeber loosening it a little till oil appeared, does it have to really gush out?

The oil won't "gush" out, its more of a steady weep. Basically you are just removing any air from the system so it can't air lock the top end flow. I place a rag around the screw, back it out a few turns and start the engine. Once you have a steady flow, just re-tighten the screw and turn off the engine. Little shot of engine cleaner to clean up any mess and re check the oil level. Your TW is good to go.
    2009 TW200, Jimbo shield, 47&55T rear with DID chain, Maxxis Ceros Rear, Kendra 270 front, extended swing arm, 1"Risers, Rear rack, Raised front fender, XOG GPS.

Does anyone have any idea what size the bleed screw is? Yesterday I was commuting home and half a country block from my driveway I see smoke blowing out my rear, no pun intended...I looked done and seen that oil was spewing out the top of the cylinder head. I got her home and realized that the oil galley screw/bleed screw backed out and oil leaked everywhere. Lessoned learned torque to specs.....

Quote Originally Posted by TWBARR View Post
    Does anyone have any idea what size the bleed screw is? Yesterday I was commuting home and half a country block from my driveway I see smoke blowing out my rear, no pun intended...I looked done and seen that oil was spewing out the top of the cylinder head. I got her home and realized that the oil galley screw/bleed screw backed out and oil leaked everywhere. Lessoned learned torque to specs.....

It should be an M6. M6's usually require a 10mm wrench. Don't forget the seal for underneath the bolt head.

***edited for correct sized threads
    Sold bike.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by pmtg View Post
    It should be an M5. M5's usually require a 10mm wrench. Don't forget the seal for underneath the bolt head.

whats the length and is a tappered bolt?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links