Hotwiring possible?
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By elime

Thread: Hotwiring possible?

So.

I got this 93 TW

it has the engine, carb and exhaust on a rolling frame. None of the electricals are there except for the stator/magneto.

My first question is, if I get a CDI, can I run it with JUST a CDI and 12v ignition coil? my understanding (service manual p7-5) of the ignition is that when the side stand is up and the bike's in neutral, the cut-off relay connects the L/Y wire to the L/W wire. This is then grounded when the stop switch is in the run position.

So then wouldn't just grounding the L/Y wire out of the box allow it to run? am I correct in this one?

My second question is, why can't we just use any CDI box? I've read about CDI issues but must've missed the answer.

Every CDI box I've ever encountered consists of a charging wire from the stator which powers up the capacitor, a timing pulse from the stator to tell it when to fire, and a power out to the ignition coil. usually then theres a ground and sometimes a kill wire also.

Is this not the case?

I mean sure each CDI might have a specific timing curve but it should at least RUN on a CDI without acurve.

Or is there some sort of timing offset built into the CDI circuitry to prevent using aftermarket CDIs?

Please help, I'd like to get this thing going as cheaply as possible as soon as possible

I don't advocate providing any information about hotwiring anything. However, thieves are usually too lazy to do homework, so I have no problem telling you where to find the info you seek, especially since you have the basics of CDI function already. First, download the free manuals from one of the stickies. The manuals have schematics. then visit the CDI and pulsar coil threads. Between the three you'll figure it out, and the thieves won't be arming themselves against our TWs.

qwerty is on the right track... this is not info that should just be out there readily available to thieves.

I would agree that it should "run on any CDI" but would caution against this. I would use the source coil, pulser coil, and cdi as an entire system. My reasoning for this is that it is possible that your stator coil generates a larger voltage than intended for the cdi box, which could cause damage, or it might not produce enough which will give weak spark. There is also a chance that the pulser coil will generate too much or not enough voltage to trigger the dumping of the capacitor, which again could mean damage or improper firing or or or or...

Tons of info in the "TW200 CDI" thread in this sub forum, "pulser coil" thread in this sub forum, "TW200 to TTR125 ignition conversion" thread in performance and customization sub forum, etc etc.

I am certain that an XT225 system would work with no problems, as the TTR125 system does. There is also a forum member that had a bike running (but not well) on some kawasaki based part.

Best of luck with the basket case.
    ITCB

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I'm with qwerty on not providing info that could help wannabe thieves hotwire and steal bikes. The hardened thief will already know, it's the curious new thieves we don't need to be educated. You can do the messages in private (PM), but don't post it here.
    Regards...Wes
    In the Stable: 73 Honda CT90,81 Honda CT110,81 Honda CT70,04 Yamaha TW200,07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

Kinda suspicous when someone creates a new account, asks about hotwiring, and disappears..... Take note fellow members.
    Regards...Wes
    In the Stable: 73 Honda CT90,81 Honda CT110,81 Honda CT70,04 Yamaha TW200,07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

Two guys and a pickup truck and 30 seconds and any TW is gone.
    littletommy likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Sponosred Links