TW carbs
Close

Thread: TW carbs

I have an 87 TW and in need of a carb. Can someone tell me what years I can use or do I have to purchase a carb off of another 87?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by av8r View Post
    I have an 87 TW and in need of a carb. Can someone tell me what years I can use or do I have to purchase a carb off of another 87?

Thanks

I am pretty sure that 87-94 are the same as they are all kick start bikes. The difference would be a California model verses the rest of the world.

Actually, you should be good from ’87 through 2000. Yamaha replaced the old style slide carb with the current CV diaphragm type carb in model year 2001. Coincidently, they also took the kick starter off the same year; which has nothing to do with the carb used. Also in 2001 they added a front disk brake and trip meter. Actually, other than a bit of an electrical output boost in ’88 to the stator/generator the only changes to the TW (North American version) took place in 2001 and they are still putting out that same bike today.
    Live Free or Die

(Gunny on the old site) 1989 TW200, 2009 BMW F800GS, 2010 BMW F650GS(wife's)

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl." Frederick the Great

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut200 View Post
    I am pretty sure that 87-94 are the same as they are all kick start bikes. The difference would be a California model verses the rest of the world.

Sorry to "butt-in" but i have recently had problems with a dirty carb and i have been looking for Workshop Drawing to assist. You have me worried now as i am given to understand that my TW is 1991 [via Vin # JYA3AWN06MA30282] and is in fact an electric start [Green Livery].I'm in South Africa i wonder if different Vin codes are applicable to markets.Either way i need to get the correct model year. Can anyone assist.

You have nothing to worry about your 1991 bike should be electric start with the kickstarter retained. You have the best of both worlds.

If you search for the shop manual you will see carb. diagrams.

I a hopeless with computers otherwise I would do a link for you, maybe someone else can do that for you.

Service and repair manual links are in a thread pinned to this very forum. You may not have realized it was a service and repair manual thread because it has a very obtuse title, "Service and Repair Manuals".

lol

Maybe I was being too subtle, but to quote mrgizmo "Might I be so bold as to suggest; some of you are, demanding and lazy..." in his new thread "you'll love this forum".

There are loads of questions that have been answered a dozen times here, new members should really be encouraged to search first.

I wasn't being subtle, and I wasn't being bold. I was being a smart ass in a helpful sort of way.

Sponosred Links