Clutch slipping!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    So I have a 2006 tw, fairly stock, used with 2000+ miles off road on it. A woman had it before i got it and i think that she may have been riding the clutch a lot. when on the highway in 5th gear I can feel the clutch slipping a lot... I already loosened the clutch cable so that it wouldn't put any force ont he plates but it still isn't better. Should I (could I even) tighten the springs on the clutch? What about new clutch plates? Where can I get these if i need to get a new assembly or plates?

OEM seem to be the best choice. Fait number of complaints concerning Barnett et al.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

What kind of oil? Any oil labeled "energy conserving" has additives to make it slipperier than normal. These additives collect on the fiber material of the clutch and let it slip. First oil change I did on Tdub I used Castrol GTX, and within 50 miles the clutch slipped like crazy. Switched to Valvoline 4-stroke for motorcycles with wet clutches and after a few hundred miles bite improved, but the clutch was never right again. About 15,000 miles later it started slipping again, so I switched to a XT225 clutch with Barnett plates and springs. Yes, a Barnett will drag a little when cold, but almost 32,000 miles on that clutch and still performs as well as when new.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hello,

Have you set (setting) the lever mechanism ?

When I went from a TW 196cc to 226cc I used Barnett Clutches in a TW clutch basket and it slipped when under a load. I installed some shims under the springs and that stopped the slipping problem.

The Barnett Clutches do drag a little when cold and have less fiber surface than stock, surprised me when I saw that.

I may go back to stock clutches in the TTR basket with shims in the new TW 245cc.

Shim pics.

The shim is to the left of the spring and in the other pic on the spring mount ready for the spring.

Ronnydog

What springs did you use with the Barnett clutch? What was the free length? Did you also use new steels, or reuse your old ones?

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    What springs did you use with the Barnett clutch? What was the free length? Did you also use new steels, or reuse your old ones?

I used Barnett Springs, free length I did not ck but they are slightly longer than stock, yes new steels.

Ronnydog

Weird!

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    What kind of oil? Any oil labeled "energy conserving" has additives to make it slipperier than normal. These additives collect on the fiber material of the clutch and let it slip. First oil change I did on Tdub I used Castrol GTX, and within 50 miles the clutch slipped like crazy. Switched to Valvoline 4-stroke for motorcycles with wet clutches and after a few hundred miles bite improved, but the clutch was never right again. About 15,000 miles later it started slipping again, so I switched to a XT225 clutch with Barnett plates and springs. Yes, a Barnett will drag a little when cold, but almost 32,000 miles on that clutch and still performs as well as when new.

Oil was changed by dealer, would have to ask them to find out what kind of oil was used.

Quote Originally Posted by christddel View Post
    Hello,

Have you set (setting) the lever mechanism ?

yes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links