Hard shifting/getting 'stuck' both up and down
Close

Hi! I haven't had my bike for very long and it ended up in the shop due to an unfortunate right turn experience we had. However, before that, the few times I got to ride, it shifted effortlessly. I came from a Suzuki S40 with its cranky, clanky shift lever so when the Tdub clicked so easily, I grinned big (and had to be careful not to kick past the gear I was aiming for).

I picked the bike up Thursday. New bars, new levers, new chain, new sprockets. I hadn't ridden for a few weeks and spent a little time in the parking lot reacquainting myself with the bike. The shift lever was really hard to move - very close to the S40's if not even a little more grumpy. I figured it was just due to all the new bits n' pieces. This is my first chain drive bike so I don't really know what to expect when parts are changed out.

The ride home was hair-raising. I got stuck in gears I didn't want to be in, couldn't downshift most of the time, couldn't shift up half the time. The most fun one was when I took off from a stop, got halfway across the intersection and got stuck in neutral. Scared the stuffing out of me. Probably the only reason I didn't totally panic was because my hubby was in the car behind me and I was pretty sure he wouldn't run me over.

The shop guy called the next day to check on me and I told him about the stiff lever and hard shifting. He said it felt fine to him when he rode it.

I've read on this forum and posted elsewhere. It seems the chain tension is the most likely problem. Confusing part is that about half the info I read says 'too loose' and the other half says 'too tight.' Either way spells trouble. I have a fairly good idea how to adjust the tension. But if there are other possible causes, I sure could use help.

Unfortunately, I don't have a garage to work in or anything but its side stand to keep it upright. I do have some tools and I'm not afraid to use them! Thanks for any ideas!

Kat
    '03 TW200 - QuasiMoto, the king of wheeee!

I would take it back and make them fix it.
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

I'm thinking the damage might be internal somewhere in the gear box...if the shifter hit the ground hard enough the right way you could have bent something. there's no way the chain will lock your shifts like that regardless of how loose or tight. Let's hope it's not too much damage in there or you're looking at hundreds or thousands of $ in parts and time.

I would NOT ride the bike period until you either figure it out through the help of the super tech guys here, or a really good mechanic. You may do more and more damage if the gear box or shifter really did get messed up a little...the mechanic that said it shifted fine for him *may* have been telling the truth, and just didn't really realize there was internal damage and it DID shift fine for him - but the more it's shifted the worse it's gonna get. Maybe not, I'm just a novice when it comes to this stuff but it's definitely possible.

I'd check the new cables first though before considering the major damage. He may have installed the shift lever incorrectly and it's not fully disengaging the engine, thus the shifts will be difficult. Also, check to make sure the spring was installed correctly, refer to this thread for info and pictures: https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...-check-spring/

Good luck.
    2008 CRF230L

2006 CBR1000RR

2007 CB919 - 70k Miles and still runs like new!

* 2001 TW200 (Sold after 15k miles of fun)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I just recently took my fiances bike out to run some fresh gas through it. I couldn't get it out of 2nd gear. I stopped and fiddled with the shifter, going up and down with my hand. I got it to get out of 2nd, but was still shifting rough. When I got it back to the house, found that it barely had any oil in the crank case. It's a 2-stroke, so at lease the piston was getting lubed. Anyhow, after running it with some fresh oil, it's shifting smooth as ever.

I really hope a shop wouldn't give your bike back low on oil, but you never know. I would check there, if you haven't already. And I definitely agree with taking it back to the shop and telling them to fix it. Best of luck!

Should have turned around and went right back to the tech instead of fussing it home. Don't ride it. Don't even start it. Too dangerous. Haul it back to the mechanic.

Hate to say it, but it may be totalled if it's been hit hard enough to mess up the shift mechanism.

Thanks, everyone - all good ideas/thoughts/information. I called the shop this afternoon and told them I'm coming in tomorrow.
    '03 TW200 - QuasiMoto, the king of wheeee!

Hey Skatz, check the easy stuff first. I get the impression that you haven't ridden that much, so forgive me for assuming you haven't checked these things.

A poorly adjusted clutch will cause like characteristics if your not familiar with the shift action of your bike and are rattled and get to banging the shift lever around. Do you see the lever on the engine/tranny moving when you pull the clutch lever? (follow the clutch cable) Is the spring affixed to the engine mounted lever? ( you shouldn't be able to move the silver colored lever with your finger) Do you feel constant pressure with the lever, or in other words does it seem like your actually pulling the clutch, or just moving the lever.

Just a couple things to check before you go through the trouble to take it back. When I used to take bikes/sleds to dealers, I would ALWAYS make it a point to ride a couple laps around the block the shop was on, before heading home . . . the resulting issues I had are why I no longer go to dealers for repair work.

Good Luck.

Bag
    "The TW may be slow, but the Earth is patient" - MK

"If I'm wrong, and it turns out that you hate it, I'll send you all my Barry Manilow albums." LB

Hidden Content

Well, what did we find out?

Bag
    "The TW may be slow, but the Earth is patient" - MK

"If I'm wrong, and it turns out that you hate it, I'll send you all my Barry Manilow albums." LB

Hidden Content

Sponosred Links