XT350 Seat
Close

Thread: XT350 Seat

If you were to use an XT350 tank, does the XT350 seat fit the TW frame with the XT tank?

Is it worth getting both the tank and seat from a XT350?

Best bet is to do a seat splice. Front portion of the XT seat grafted to the rear section of the TW seat. Adapting the entire XT seat has major fit issues with regard to its shape. So yes, if you can get them together it would be worth it.

This is the only clear pic I have of mine. XT front, TW rear, mostly XT foam, covered and stitched by a local upholstery shop (The dudes to the left and right of me were just a couple of homeless hippy panhandlers on a work release program)

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I normally figure my friend lizard breath knows much more than I do, but it seems to me the simplest solution to matching an xt350 tank with a seat is to do what I and a couple of other folks have done and that is just to add a bit more flex to the stock seat. No splice, no recover, no major gaps showing. The stock seat pan has a few ridges on its underside to provide strength. You just need to decide where you need a bit more flex and cut through those ridges with a hack saw and perhaps go a bit deeper. I was worried that I might go all the way through and damage the cover so removed a few of the staples to loosen the cover, and inserted a thick piece of plastic between the cover and the seat padding, while I was cutting only. Once the cut allowing the flex to occur was completed, I removed the protective layer, restapled the cover in its original position and mounted the original seat with a good contour with the xt350 tank. I guess I could admit to a bit of a wrinkle in the cover right at the bend, but my Stearns cover hides any imperfection. I'll try to post the best photo I have of my original (read stock) seat with the xt350 tank (remember I run an oem steel tank) and others may have the Clarke plastic (but the posterior contours should be the same even if the other dimensions are somewhat different). Check out my original post or ask for details if this is not clear. Lizard breath is giving you the Paul Prudhome method which takes many hours and is elegant in the end. I'm giving you the Rachel Ray method which is done in 30 minutes and ain't bad. Whats your style?

Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Personally I think Rachels much cutier than LizrdBrth !

I like both methods, Thanks Guys!

Bag
    "The TW may be slow, but the Earth is patient" - MK

"If I'm wrong, and it turns out that you hate it, I'll send you all my Barry Manilow albums." LB

Hidden Content

Me sooooo pritty .

I did the seat-bendy thing initially. Was a pain to take on and off, but it worked. I mostly did the seat splice because the stock seat BLOWS. The splice levels it out and adds padding. If you gots no issues with monkeybutt from the stocker then the flacid, wrinkled look is perfectly functional...

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Russ when you talk about flacid and wrinkled are you referring to my seat or the one on my bike? I have no problem installing the seat, and even can tweek the horn of the seat enough to add or remove the tank bag straps when the seat is in place. Maybe its just a matter of how much and where the cut is made. Now that you mentioned my flacid wrinkled seat, I think I better start out on a ride to smooth out the wrinkles. Cheers, Tom

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Nothing like the word 'flacid' to end a conversation among guys . . . .

Bag
    "The TW may be slow, but the Earth is patient" - MK

"If I'm wrong, and it turns out that you hate it, I'll send you all my Barry Manilow albums." LB

Hidden Content

I just wanted to use it in a sentence.

IIRC, Tom was one of the first to use the XT tank, long before I got here. Pics of his bike gave me the idea in the first place

I didn't stress-relieve my seat as he did, so it was a pain to take it on and off and the suction cup thingy wore the paint off.

Tom, what adhesive did you use on your tank pads?

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Seat? and tank? You need to use the engine.

Russ, Tank pads had no adhesive added. The material comes with an adhesive backing - just pull of the saran wrap covering it and press in place. They've never budged or shown any sign of loosening - even in the face of gas spills, bike spills, or even bug juice. I would have to check on the source company but these are made for this purpose. Tom

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Sponosred Links