A three-position headlight switch - Low-High-OFF
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: A three-position headlight switch - Low-High-OFF

This started in this thread --

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...hutoff-switch/

...as a means to save the drain on the battery. It seemed a simple enough idea, so I thought I'd give it a go. It was so easy, so simple, and so elegant a solution I thought others should know about it.

I'd provide photos, but I didn't take any when I did the job (which took maybe 10-minutes max).

Here's how ya do it..

(NOTE - We have learned that this mod will only work on pre-2001 TWs which have the slider-type headlight switch. If you have a newer bike with a rocker-type switch, don't do this... It will not work and will likely ruin your switch)

1. Remove the plastic part of the headlight switch be removing the Phillips-head screw on the side of the thumb-switch.

2. Pull up on the switch to remove it. Also remove the thin metal plate underneath it.

3. Be sure the key if in the "off" position while you do these next steps. You don't want any power flowing.

4. You will be elongating the slot the switch moves in at the -TOP- of the slot. (This is the position above the High beam position.

5. I used a Dremel tool to do this. You could probably use a small drill bit as well to delicately nibble away about 1/16" - 1/8" of plastic at the top of the slot.

6. Turn on the Key so you have power. Now push the switch from the Low, to high, and now beyond that into the new position you have created at the top. If the headlight goes out and the switch will stay there in that position, you are done. If not, nibble away at the top to make the slot a wee bit longer. Keep testing until you get it to work.

7. Reassemble the switch and enjoy your new 3-position headlight switch!

Yeah.... I know U.S. DOT would not approve of this modification as they have a "headlights on all the time" regulation for motorcycles. (And so you did not learn this mod from me nor do I officially endorse it. )

But... off-road, when you want to save the drain on your battery a little or run w/o a headlight for any particular reason, this new "Headlight Off" position is what you need.

You may also want to know that you will probably expose the switch to a little more entry of any moisture by elongating the slot, so if wet weather is an issue when you ride, you may want to figure out a way to seal the switch a little better (not that it is all that sealed from the factory anyway.)

Also... this will not be a "run-dark-stealth-mode" as your tail/brake and turn-signals will still operate even with the switch in this new Off position. If someone can tell me how to easily do a mod to turn those things off too when I want, I'll be really excited!

Happy Trail(ways)!

Quote Originally Posted by Truelight View Post
    This started in this thread --

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...hutoff-switch/

...as a means to save the drain on the battery. It seemed a simple enough idea, so I thought I'd give it a go. It was so easy, so simple, and so elegant a solution I thought others should know about it.

I'd provide photos, but I didn't take any when I did the job (which took maybe 10-minutes max).

Here's how ya do it..

1. Remove the plastic part of the headlight switch be removing the Phillips-head screw on the side of the thumb-switch.

2. Pull up on the switch to remove it. Also remove the thin metal plate underneath it.

3. Be sure the key if in the "off" position while you do these next steps. You don't want any power flowing.

4. You will be elongating the slot the switch moves in at the -TOP- of the slot. (This is the position above the High beam position.

5. I used a Dremel tool to do this. You could probably use a small drill bit as well to delicately nibble away about 1/16" - 1/18" of plastic at the top of the slot.

6. Turn on the Key so you have power. Now push the switch from the Low, to high, and now beyond that into the new position you have created at the top. If the headlight goes out and and switch will stay there in that position, you are done. If not, nibble away at the top to make the slot a wee bit longer. Keep testing until you get it to work.

7. Reassemble the switch and enjoy your new 3-position headlight switch!

Yeah.... I know U.S. DOT would not approve of this modification as they have a "headlights on all the time" regulation for motorcycles. And so you did not learn this mod from me nor do I officially endorse it.

But... off-road, when you want to save the drain on your battery a little or run w/o a headlight for any particular reason, this new "Headlight Off" position is what you need.

You may also want to know that you will probably expose the switch to a little more entry of any moisture by elongating the slot, so if wet weather is an issue when you ride, you may want to figure out a way to seal the switch a little better (not that it is all that sealed from the factory anyway.)

Also... this will not be a "run-dark-stealth-mode" as your tail/brake and turn-signals will still operate even with the switch in this new Off position. If someone can tell me how to easily do a mod to turn those things off too when I want, I'll be really excited!

Happy Trail(ways)!

Is there away besides intricately placing the switch in both high and low for better light? If I play with the switch I can get the low and high beam to light up, but it is delicate and it does work. Any advice to keep it there, if I hit a bump it goes back to low>>>>

Bad plan. Doubles the wattage on the system.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post

+1. A friend of mine used to do that on his four wheeler, until the headlight housings literally melted from the extra heat generated. Probably not an issue on the TW, but as lizrdbrth said, the extra wattage probably is.

I wouldn't run both lights either, but I sure like the mod to turn the headlight off, if it's that easy. It's a toggle switch... Gonna have to tinker with that one. ^5 for that one Truelight.

Oh, it's for the older model... dang!
    Something witty...

2005 & 2010 TW200

Just to be clear before anyone destroys their switch, this mod ONLY applies to pre-'01 switches.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

My bike is a '93. Explain why this is a "bad plan" and what will happen if I run the bike with the switch in this position? (Are you referring to TWBARR's idea of running both High & Low beams at the same time or mine of the new "OFF" position ? I can see how running both would generate extra heat, but totally off - what harm might that do?). Will this mod work on Post '01 bikes and if not, why not?

Just to be clear before anyone destroys their switch, this mod ONLY applies to pre-'01 switches.
    Might just have to do this mod to my '89. I would also like to have a switch to turn off all tail/brake turn lights so could go in total stealth mode as I sneak up on my prey....LOL
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Quote Originally Posted by TWBARR View Post
    Is there away besides intricately placing the switch in both high and low for better light? If I play with the switch I can get the low and high beam to light up, but it is delicate and it does work. Any advice to keep it there, if I hit a bump it goes back to low>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by Truelight View Post
    My bike is a '93. Explain why this is a "bad plan" and what will happen if I run the bike with the switch in this position? (Are you referring to TWBARR's idea of running both High & Low beams at the same time or mine of the new "OFF" position ? I can see how running both would generate extra heat, but totally off - what harm might that do?). Will this mod work on Post '01 bikes and if not, why not?

Truelight, lizrdbrth was replying to TWBARR about his idea being a bad plan for the TW application.
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Truelight,

I was referring to attempting to run both filaments at once. Your description of the mod is spot on. My own are modified the same way.

Late models have a short-throw rocker switch . Early models are a slider with sliding contacts. Completely different critters.

I'm looking at a late model switch right now and I don't see any way to accomplish the same thing without a seperate switch or aftermarket switchgear.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links