Installing oring chain master link clip
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Installing oring chain master link clip

Just some additional info after what I've read here. Hinted at but not explicitly described:

Master link clip with 4 o rings installed, looked almost impossible to put on. I read stuff here, people mentioned a nut, compressing, putting the clip on quickly etc. I didn't get the whole picture, not doubt my dullness.

Anyway, after staring/assembling piles of tools, and clamping and drinking a bit I accidently happened upon the fact that if you do use vice grips with a little nut on the flat part where the clip goes (other end of vice grips is on other side of same link), and compress HARD, as someone hinted, the o rings compress/go into the holes/whatever. The result is that the clip goes on smoothly/simply with no compression devices, once the link has been compressed hard.

I hope i got that across!

Mike

O ring does feel different, less sloppy.

Yeah I ran into the same thing this summer. On the original chain the master link went together easily, on the O-ring DID type it wouldn't go at all. I actually bought a new link as I thought the one that came in the pack was defective.

Didn't realize there was such as thing as a clip-type interferance fit, seems to miss the point of having a clip vs a rivet.

I could not make the vice-grip work (didn't know the nut trick), ended up buying a little chain press.

redlegsrides likes this.

Great information guys. I've never done an O-ring chain, just the old kind like on our stock TWs. My dealer installed my o-ring during the 600 mile service, and I didn't realize they were a press-type fit.
    two 2009 TWs, Ricochet skidplates, Moose Racing 'Expedition' rack (like a Borrega), DID 428V O-ring chains, DMoto2 -style black steel footpegs from eBay

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Tip: Paint the masterlink side plate a bright color. That way you have a easy to find start and stop point for cleaning and lubing.
    Gulfrider likes this.

Question on the mini chain press tool. All the ones I've seen say they fit 520 and 530 chains. I don't see why that would make a difference though, but for those of you who have installed an O-ring chain, does it? I purchased a DID O-ring chain and need to get one of those presses when I go to install it. One other question. Will I need to purchase a chain break tool to remove the old chain?

Dan
    2009 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha Virago 1100

I went rivet type on my DR 200 and I'll never get a clip-type again if I can avoid it. That said, your chain looks good ( a lot better than the stocker!), glad you got it on
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by dhoenisch View Post
    Question on the mini chain press tool. All the ones I've seen say they fit 520 and 530 chains. I don't see why that would make a difference though, but for those of you who have installed an O-ring chain, does it? I purchased a DID O-ring chain and need to get one of those presses when I go to install it. One other question. Will I need to purchase a chain break tool to remove the old chain?

Dan

Mine says 520-530, and it worked fine.

Not sure on the chain break tool, depends on what sort of chain you have on there now. Mine had a cheap non-o-ring replacement with a clip and pliers took it off easily.

I still have the stock chain on my bike.

Dan
    2009 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha Virago 1100

I've used a "C" clamp with a small piece of metal in the middle of the outside dog-bone. You can hear the click when it bottoms out. Took me a while to figure this one out.
    1998 HD FLHTC

2004 TW200

2004 TW200

I've seen one mechanic who drilled out the holes in old side plates, stacked up three or four and tacked them together as a spacer, places these over the new sideplates on both sides of the master link, then gives the mess a squeeze with a BIG pair of BigAzz ChanneLLocks. *snap* *click* Done. He had problems with stubborn sideplates bending when using a chain press. His system spreads the compression loads all across the new side plates--no bending, and he can install a master link clip quicker than anyone else can line up a chain press.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links