Glowing Red
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glowing Red

Might be a dumb question, but…..Is it typical for the exhuast pipe coming out of the cylinder to be bright glowing red. Is the motor overheating or is it just because it was dark outside? I never really noticed till last night.

You're running lean, and yes, your motor will go byebye if you keep riding it.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    You're running lean, and yes, your motor's about to go if you keep riding it.

Suggestions everything is stock. I live in Indiana at altitude of 771+/- feet with variable temps from -15* to 100*. What jetting is recommended?

Thanks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I truly doubt it's jetting. Even at sea level with stock jetting you shouldn't be glowing red. It wouldn't hurt to rejet, but I think your problem is more basic and you'll be wasting your time unless you cure it

Most likely it's crud buildup reducing or partially cvlogging your jets, and your carb needs a thourough cleaning.

Next up would be the manifold boot leaking.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    I truly doubt it's jetting. Even at sea level with stock jetting you shouldn't be glowing red. It wouldn't hurt to rejet, but I think your problem is more basic and you'll be wasting your time unless you cure it

Most likely it's crud buildup reducing or partially cvlogging your jets, and your carb needs a thourough cleaning.

Next up would be the manifold boot leaking.

Thanks for the info I will clean the carb hopefully this weekend useing the carb cleaning thread. You "older" more experienced guys are awesome...

So haven't got around to working on the carb tuning/cleaning yet becuase of working on my truck. Would it make the bike run lean if the air cleaner filter is behind the guide instead of pressed against the screen. Too much air into the carb???

Quote Originally Posted by TWBARR View Post
    So haven't got around to working on the carb tuning/cleaning yet becuase of working on my truck. Would it make the bike run lean if the air cleaner filter is behind the guide instead of pressed against the screen. Too much air into the carb???

Not quite sure what you're asking about the guide, but put it back to the way it came stock.

Now would be the perfect time to take your carb apart and let it soak in a carb cleaning solution while you work on your truck. Any gunk would break down while you are working on your truck.
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by pmtg View Post
    Not quite sure what you're asking about the guide, but put it back to the way it came stock.

Now would be the perfect time to take your carb apart and let it soak in a carb cleaning solution while you work on your truck. Any gunk would break down while you are working on your truck.

in the diagram manual for the INTAKE 11 is between 12 and 13. PO had it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by TWBARR View Post
    in the diagram manual for the INTAKE 11 is between 12 and 13.

Put it back to stock...13,12,11. (http://www.stadiumyamaha.com/pages/O...TW200H_-_1996))

But if you're wondering if that simple fix will solve your red pipe issue, I highly doubt it. Just dig into it when you have time.
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I assume that the TW has a simple single wall pipe

After some power being used then most 4 strokes would have glowing exhaust pipes

* Of course there is a wide variation in "glowing"

Things that don't glow, bikes etc have double walled pipes so glow is inside

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links