'09 won't turn over
Close

Hi all - I'm a bit baffled. Pulling into my driveway the other day, my 2009 died on me. I didn't think anything of it at the time, thought maybe I dropped the clutch (getting into our driveway involves a left turn across a very busy road so I've been known to be a bit distracted in my focus on getting across). It wouldn't start up again though, so I pushed it into the garage. A couple of days later, tried to start it again, and still nothing. It just came back from the shop - they checked the oil, chain, everything, and said it was all ship-shape. The bike has only 1300 or so miles on it (I've put on every one myself, it's my first bike). I know I need to take it to the shop (neither my husband or I is mechanically inclined), but I'd love if I could get it started just once to ride it there so I don't have to figure out some kind of tow situation.

Any ideas on:

1. how to get it started (keep in mind it's parked in a crowded, urban garage, right outside of which is a steep hill / busy street).

2. what might be going on

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Does it have fuel? Was the gas turned off by chance? Did the kill switch get slid to OFF by chance?

Could be valve clearance(s) is out of spec. An easy check and fix.

If safety switches are acting up it could be preventing you from starting/riding.

To start it, I'd give it a push and pop the clutch (2nd or 3rd gear will do the trick). Should be able to accomplish this within your garage (before you head out on the road).

If you don't know anyone with a truck or trailer to help you deliver it to shop, you could always rent a Home Depot pickup for your needs. Might be expensive but it is an option (provided you have a Home Depot or something like it near you).
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

You say it won't turn over. Do you really mean nothing happens when you hit the starter switch? Do you hear a click or nothing at all? If you have a bit of space in the garage, you might think about trying to roll start it by sitting on the bike, pushing yourself forward as fast as you can or have someone push you and when rolling (key on), lift the shifter to second gear and pop the clutch. It should start or at least try to fire when you do this (don't use 1st gear because its too low to move the motor enough). Alternatively, did you hit the kill switch accidentally (nothing will happen if kill switch is off - i.e. no click, no nada). Ditto are you trying the bike in neutral and with the kickstand up (in gear with kick stand down - nada). Do you have lights, horn, do you have 12 plus volts if you check the battery? Will not turn over means the starter won't turn the engine over. Will not start means the motor turns over but will not catch and run. Give us more info and we can help eliminate some problems. Patience and if possible try to fix it in some other way other than wadding up $100 bills and throwing them at the Yamaha dealer. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Go back to the basics and we can walk you thru some easy tests. First, when you turn on the key does your headlight and front marker light come on? Is the green neutral light on? Is the kill switch on the handle bar in the run position?

If yes to all of these then push the starter button, is the engine cranking as normal?

Open the fuel cap and check the level in the tank, then check the fuel petcock position. If the level is low, turn it to the reserve setting. Pull out the choke lever and try cranking it again. Still not starting? From here it gets alittle more intense but there are a few more tests we can walk you thru with some basic tools.

Have you downloaded a copy of the manual yet? Don't forget the supplement manual for the '09

There are links on here to get you to the right manual downloads.

Keep us posted on what you find, hope its something simple and easy to fix...
    2009 TW200, Jimbo shield, 47&55T rear with DID chain, Maxxis Ceros Rear, Kendra 270 front, extended swing arm, 1"Risers, Rear rack, Raised front fender, XOG GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by wrench-puller View Post
    Go back to the basics and we can walk you thru some easy tests. First, when you turn on the key does your headlight and front marker light come on? Is the green neutral light on? Is the kill switch on the handle bar in the run position?

If yes to all of these then push the starter button, is the engine cranking as normal?

Open the fuel cap and check the level in the tank, then check the fuel petcock position. If the level is low, turn it to the reserve setting. Pull out the choke lever and try cranking it again. Still not starting? From here it gets alittle more intense but there are a few more tests we can walk you thru with some basic tools.

Have you downloaded a copy of the manual yet? Don't forget the supplement manual for the '09

There are links on here to get you to the right manual downloads.

Keep us posted on what you find, hope its something simple and easy to fix...

Thanks you guys for the replies.

To clarify:

1. Electrics seem fine, headlight, neutral light, etc. all seem to go on just fine.

2. Engine turns over, but won't catch and run.

3. Kickstand is up, kill switch is off, I tried starting in both first and neutral.

4. Pet cock was in the on position both times (had been turned off while the bike was parked, and back on the second time), choke was out when she was cold (not when she died in the driveway, obviously because I'd been riding for 30 minutes...).

I like the push start idea but I'm a bit concerned about doing it in our garage - I'm small enough that I only get the ball of one foot down when I ride, and that combined with the small and cramped quarters in the garage makes me a bit hesitant on the push start. May I could find a taller, stronger friend to help...How long / far do you usually have to push the bike?

Your still leaving out the good bits.

Did you pull your spark plug out? Is the plug white, black, tan? Was it wet with fuel.

If so did you crank the engine over with the spark plug out and grounded to the engine to see if you have spark?

Here's a generic vid from youtube for checking spark

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drSep-Bp7wE[/media]

You have to give us armchair doctors some more info to figure out if your problem is electrical, fuel related or something else mechanically gone wrong..

Sponosred Links